Wednesday, October 20, 2010

That Damn Shirt

I was speaking with Karen yesterday who posts comments here on the blog. She said the following to me during our conversation: "a bunch of us are looking forward to seeing you in your shirt". I am not sure what surprised me most. The shirt reminder, or the fact that it was not only her out there in her community checking in on the blog occasionally.

I hadn't really forgotten about the shirt, but I had conveniently placed the memory of it as far back as I could in the deep canyon of my brain. I think my heart skipped a beat. I looked on the calendar and it is only two weeks away. Yikes!

For those of you who are new to this Blog, I bought a shirt in London last August. It was skin tight and there was no way in hell I could wear it. Well...I guess technically I could put it on, but Jamie took one look at it and told me I could NOT wear it in public. He didn't need to tell me. I already knew.

Determination got the better of me so I bought the shirt and vowed that I would wear it to a Weight Watcher's meeting November 3rd no matter how I looked in it and post a picture of my doing so on this blog.

The Shirt
Well...the weight from the trip to England and Scotland has not been coming off the way I would like. My own fault.

The good news is I am super motivated now. I am going to keep my promise. Goal setting doesn't work unless you do everything you can to succeed. If you make a promise and don't keep it, the next time you make a promise, it won't have meaning. I am not talking about "meaning" to others. I mean meaning to oneself. One has to keep their own personal commitments if they are to achieve self empowerment through personal responsibility.

The bad news is I will be at a cottage just before I have to wear this, and when I set the date, it didn't occur to me that it was right after halloween. I am going to have no choice but to behave through both of these occasions. Maybe that is a good thing.

I have no illusion that I will look amazing in this shirt November 3rd, but if I can wear it without total embarrassment I will be thrilled.

Thanks so much for the timely reminder Karen!

I was excellent food wise yesterday. A totally organic and healthy day. It is weigh-in day today. I am hoping I am down a bit but don't think it will be too much.

Be healthy!

Alan

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sorry Alan - Time for my 'Tough Love' comment.
I don't want to sound mean, but it is time to quit making excuses. If you are serious about making your goals and staying on your 'Road to Nutrition and Health' DO IT!! Talk to your fellow WW, they all go to the cottage, have Halloween, Thanksgiving and other special days on their calanders, and yet they some how manage to make it through. You can enjoy all of these special occasions and still fit into that 'Little Black Shirt' on Nov. 3, you just have to stay and track.
Take care my friend.

Unknown said...

Tough love is always good, and often necessary for me Karen. Please bring it on whenever I need it. I thought what you are saying is was pretty much the same as what I was saying in my blog though? Didn't think I was making excuses as my point was intended to say "I am going to do this".

I have made a lot of excuses lately though and am really grateful for people like you whipping me into shape :-)

Alan

Unknown said...

I have been reflecting some more on your post and I think I know what you are getting at. Will make for an interesting day of self evaluation and interesting blog topic tomorrow I think. Thanks for that. It is good to have friends who tell me what I need to hear.

Alan