Sunday, October 3, 2010

Colonics

Ok...I have been saying I will blog about this because I believe in it for about a week now so today is the day.

I have to preface this by saying that at the time of writing this I am not a Doctor, Health Care Provider, Nutritionist, or anything else that provides validity to my statements. This is just my humble opinion as your average lay person who has been reading about it, and has actually done it.

To begin with, what is it? It is basically a method of cleansing your colon. I am speaking of the type of colonic you would normally get in a professional facility.

It is a very sterile process, and there is no "stink". Essentially you would be asked to undress below the waist and put a robe or towel over you. You will then have a disposable, whatever it is called (I told you I was a layman), attached to a tube and placed up your rectum. Sounds like fun doesn't it? Seriously though, it really doesn't hurt and wasn't uncomfortable at all.

For the next 45 minutes or so you speak with your attendant as he/she periodically massages your stomach and you watch the mess that is in your body go up a little tube and travel off to never never land.

Why I am I sold on it? Because I saw what came out of me.

A year ago I did my first set of colonics. As I understand it people will often buy a package of about six and do one a week until the package is used up. Each time a little more of the hardened crap in your body gets loosened up and released.

I did it a little differently. I did "Extreme Colonics" because, being the personality I am, pretty much everything has to be extreme.

I read a book for my program at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition called "Dr. Jensen's Guide To Better Bowel Care". It recommends a program where you basically have clay water and supplements only for a long period of time and have daily colonics. Pretty much anyone I spoke with who was a nutritionist said that they would never have a client actually do this particular colonic program because it was just too intense to reasonably expect people to do. So I did it.

The week, as it unfolded, convinced me of the importance of doing this, beyond a doubt.

The first couple of days I basically saw the food I had eaten go out the tube and then nothing else came out. According to Stacey at VitaLife Digestive Wellness Clinic  this is where most people make the mistake. They don't see much come out so they think they are "clean". The reality is it takes a while to loosen up stuff that has been hardened in you for years.

For me the big "reveal" happened on day 6. At this point I had had five previous colonics and had not eaten for five days. There was no food left in me. Nonetheless, the stuff that came flying out was beyond belief. Stacey actually had trouble ending the session because is wouldn't stop flowing. I have been sold on it from that point forward.

This recent cleanse was not as strict, as I ate raw fruits and vegetables, but only in liquid form, all week. Nonetheless, a lot of "solid" matter still came out.

I won't ask you to do this again but, just this once, think about your colon and what it might look like.

Mine was clearly full of a tar like substance that had hardened to the sides, keeping toxins that could potentially be cancer forming trapped inside of me. It can also keep food from passing through you properly and that can create digestion and weight loss issues. You can read about other benefits here: Colonic Benefits

Although I am not a professional it would still be remiss of me not to say that colonics may not be for everyone. If you have health issues you may wish to have a discussion with a professional before proceeding.

So there you have it...my personal experience and beliefs on the subject :-)

On the personal food front I did remarkably well yesterday. I figured out exactly what I was going to order at the restaurant before I left and I ordered it.  Made a delicious new Nutrition Drink too. The food tracker is below (Nutrition Drink contents in the notes section). I was right on track! Remember to click on it once or twice to enlarge it.

I returned to the gym...finally! It felt good to be back but the health isn't 100% yet so it was a pretty pathetic workout. Only 20 minutes cardio and some abs. The real exercise came later in the day and that was simply walking. Jamie and I decided to walk to the restaurant which was not close by. It took us an hour and a half to walk there. We took a subway part way home but got off early and walked around Toronto for a while seeing the light displays of the Nuit Blanche festival that is here. To be honest we were very underwhelmed by it, but the walk was good.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: