Saturday, October 23, 2010

Overhealthying

I know..."overhealthying" is not a word but it is the only way to describe my day yesterday...I am such an "excess" person. I was so busy "overhealthying" that I didn't even have time to write my blog.

I took a rare day off from work, and blogging, and prepared and prepared and prepared healthy foods. Well...not really foods, but preparation for foods for the most part. I set beans up for sprouting, I prepared a "culture" for yogurt, I made my own sour cream, I made my own bread (it didn't turn out) , I made my own tortilla chips, and I made Chili and a healthy cheese cake with an almond crust.

Everything required so much work.

I used the cookbook I got in Food Preparation Class, but it is hard to use. You make one recipe but within that recipe they often tell you to add a couple of ingredients that are actually their OWN recipes elsewhere in the book. A lot of these "ingredient/recipes" require 24 hours to make. Even the almonds for the cheese cake crust had to be baked at 150 degrees for 7 hours. The reason behind this is that a lot of nutrients and enzymes get killed above 180 degrees so wherever it is possible to cook slower at a reduced heat it is preferable.

I need to find balance though. This type of cooking is likely not realistic for me for the rest of my life. That does NOT mean I am going back to processed food...but I don't have to make absolutely everything. I probably won't die if I eat an organic probiotic yogurt purchased from a store.

To be fair the cookbook is amazing, and I probably should have read the 100 page introduction before using it. It tells you the basic ingredients you should make and have on hand for use in multiple recipes. Perhaps I just need to spend time making the basic ingredients first. I will evaluate further but it will be a while before I am able to find time to read those 100 pages.

I am definitely on the road to nutrition and health now though. To use Martha's words: "It's A Good Thing".

Be Healthy!

Alan

No comments: