Friday, January 7, 2011

Healthy Junk Dinner

Every now and then I get a real craving to eat junk for dinner. Something tells me I am not alone.

Yesterday I decided to plan a junk-like dinner that wasn't totally junk. The theory being that if I have a "planned" one I wont be craving an unplanned one later.

My favourite junk food is a Burger and Fries.

First up was the French Fries.

In order to be "healthier" I thought I would make Sweet Potato Fries. When I have attempted these at home before, however, it has been a disaster. I don't think they taste quite as good when baked, and the pre-packaged ones have more ingredients on the label than just "sweet potatoes" which I don't like so I cut my own.

Cutting my own presents issues though. The fries are never the same size which means some will burn (especially where the Fries thin at the ends) and some aren't cooked enough.

It occurred to me that fries don't necessarily have to "look" like fries. It is much easier to get consistency of width if you cut them more in the shape of potato chips so I sliced my potatoes into even width circles. It works much better.

I decided I was going to fry them in oil. I didn't want to deep fry them (just some oil on the bottom of a fry pan) and did not want to use Olive Oil as the heat temperature would be so high it would turn the Olive Oil into something similar to a trans fat. So I used Coconut Oil. It is very stable and can withstand high temperatures.

I know that the debate about Coconut Oil is huge. It has a very high level of saturated fats and many equate that with it being unhealthy or disastrous for weight loss. I personally do not believe the evidence supports that theory. I believe it is propaganda from Canadian/American manufacturers who do not want us to buy a product they can't produce in vast quantity. I think it is an extremely healthy oil that is a "medium string" fat which means the digestive process it goes through does not result in weight gain.

Having said that my WW friends can't give me a hard time, whether they believe me or not, because I counted every point of Coconut Oil I used so it is totally on plan.

The Sweet Potato Chips were perfect.

I even made my own ketchup to go with them. Who knew making ketchup was so easy?!

To go with the Chips, I had home made Halibut Fish Cakes. They were also fried in Coconut Oil (yes...I counted these points too) and it was a great substitute for the burger.

Third item on the plate was a salad.

It was the perfect "junk food dinner".

I splurged and stayed relatively healthy.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: