Sunday, July 4, 2010

VALERIE BERTINELLI EAT YOUR HEART OUT! ALAN - REVEALED!

I did it! I kept my commitment and walked around the Pride festivities shirtless yesterday (if you want to see the pic now scroll down to the bottom and then scroll back up and read this excessively long blog).

I must admit I was scared before doing it. I was meeting my friend Anthony at 4:45 but to get to him I had to walk through the crowd of people (with my shirt on) and even though I knew there were shirtless guys out there who looked worse than me my eyes only went to the shirtless gods (that's what my eyes are naturally trained to do) and the thought of taking my shirt off actually made me feel nauseous. I was really quite surprised by how much it was freaking me out.

Once the shirt was off though, it was like the weight of the world had been lifted off me. I had done it and no one was even noticing. Again..I knew this would be the case, but when you have learned to hide your body your whole life it is a HUGE step to take. I suddenly felt so relaxed and walked around the street for an hour and a half with no shirt. Felt great!

I really have to thank Anthony for taking the pics, but also for working out with me for so long and encouraging me with nutritional advice to get to the point I am at now in a safe way. I didn't always listen but I tried. Also a big thanks to Cindy and the whole gang at Weight Watchers for sticking with me and giving me support for the last few years...and of course...my new blogger friends...what an amazing support group!

OK OK I know...it's just a pic outside and I am giving a frickin Oscar Speech . You have to understand though that it does mean a lot to me, and these people have helped me change my life.  Given the impact this has had on me, and probably my life span, I can never thank them enough.

Don't go away on me yet though....I'm not done! LOL

I actually posted four pics below as I wanted to document my journey a bit in pictures.

If you start at the bottom picture and work your way up, you will see a picture of me in June 2004.  Look at the size of the tummy! Sadly, I had lost 54 pounds before that pic and gained it all back. This time is different though. This time is for good.

The picture that is second from the bottom is taken May 15th of this year which is three days after I committed on my blog to taking my shirt off during Pride, and the day I wrote about "cleaning up your environment" (meaning cleaning up your body). I swear to you I am NOT pushing my stomach out. For you guys out there who think cleaning yourself up is girlie, I say that unless you are into 'bears' even you gotta admit my chest looks better shaved. Feels better too :-)

The third pic from the bottom is just me having fun just before the shirt was taken off (yeah I'm sucking it in LOL) but if you look behind me to the right in the pic you will see the kinda shirtless guys I was up against...the oiled, lean, mean, killing machine twenty-two year olds in their underwear.

Finally the top pic is me baring the upper half yesterday. I DID IT! You have my word that there is no photoshop involved (thanks for the offer though Quade). It is not perfect but compared to where I was....I am real happy.

I was asked by the President of The Toronto Real Estate Board yesterday if I would be on the Board's Pride Float today. I would have done it but unfortunately I will be working at the time of the parade.

I briefly thought about making a new commitment on this blog to be on the float next year, dancing shirtless, but then quickly discounted it because I didn't know what weight I will be next year. I then realized that that is still "Fat Alan" talk. I DO know what what weight I will be next year and it will be a healthy weight! So...deep breath...assuming the Toronto Real Estate Board has a float in the parade next year, I am going to commit to being on the float and dancing topless (even as I write this my head is telling me...you're insane!).  What did Britney say? "Whoops...I did it again"! LOL

This is turning into a really long blog but I do have one more story to tell before I go.

When I was in my early 20's I used to go to this bar in Hamilton called Billies. There was a guy who was probably ten years older than me (10 years older seems like 40 years older to a 22 year old) who I don't think I ever spoke to but he would go to the bar and cruise me constantly. Yesterday...shortly after taking my shirt off...I ran into him...25 years later.

I think he had forgotten that we had never actually spoken all those years ago and he just started chatting up a storm with me and yes...cruising me. He's not cute but at my age (47) if someone cruises me...I'm flattered. He started touching my chest while talking to me and then rubbed my nipples and said "thank you so much for coming out and enticing us". With that he gave me a quick peck on the lips and went merrily on his way. Having just bared my chest for all to see...it was exactly what I needed to happen. Thank you universe!

Have a great Pride Day everyone.

Please remember that pride is about accepting diversity....not about being gay...so happy pride to every type of individual out there...including straight people. It pisses me off that the pride signs around the city include every type of diverse group out there except straight. If we are going to accept diversity there is no excuse for not being 100% inclusive so Happy Pride EVERYONE!

Be proud of who you are in life, and be healthy!

Alan
















14 comments:

Quade said...

wooohooo! Good for you! You look great! And what an amazing story, that the guy who cruised you all those years ago basically saw you as your young self again. What a gift!

Unknown said...

Thanks Quade!

This blog itself has been quite the amazing journey. Do you realize that on the very first day of my blog I had dinner at your place. I wrote about it in my "day two" blog entry.

Seems like long ago now!

Unknown said...

Oh God. It is like an Oscar Speech. I forgot to thank my husband!!!! l

Thanks for your incredible support sweetie!

Alan

Anonymous said...

WOW- yay yay yay, awesome celebration my love!

We happy for you and your achievement!

Thanks to you & Jamie we now eat organic, I love cooking, use glass dishes when we can, drink goat milk, have oatmeal, place our tomatoes outside of the fridge and have halved our portions !!
See what you guys have done for us too........thank you!

Yay to all celebrating Pride !

Huge hugs
Di & Maurizio

Unknown said...

That is so cool Maurizio and Diane! Thanks for the message. We love you!

Alan & Jamie

cdp said...

WOW - you should be Proud (not so Big anymore) Man!

Looking at your photos remind me of the best holiday I ever had - isn't TO the best!!

My Dad says that when he first went over in the '50's it was known as "Toronto the good" (not a compliment owing to it's ferocious Calvinism) - well, that's what you'd call a miraculous transformation!!!!
Cxx

Unknown said...

Thanks CDP

"Toronto The Good" is still used a lot around here. A Real Estate Brokerage around the corner from mr always advertised with "Toronto The Good" as their slogan, but they just went under.

I think the last time I actually watched the Pride Parade it was with you about nine years ago. I remember desperately searching for a patio to have a beer with you afterward lol ( some thongs don't change much).

Come back to Canada!

We will actually be in England in August but only for a few days so not enough time to get over and see you :-(

cdp said...

Alan! Where? When? And why not Edinburgh?!!

Unknown said...

We are goin on a cruise from Southhampton but only have three days in England aug 29. Staying with friends in bournmouthe

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Alan, I knew you would do it! Pic looks great.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much! It is really nice to get such positive feedback. Even from anonymous people:-)

Anonymous said...

LOL...anonymouse is fun! Plus, I can't set up and use an id at work, the corporate webgods deem it 'social networking' and it is blocked. For some reason I can read the blog and write as anonymous. I'm at the meetings...I'm sure you'll figure me out eventually!

Unknown said...

LOL...I like the mystery. I actually think there is more than one "anonymous" ;-)

Anonymous said...

I can guarantee you there are because I know I haven't written them all!