Thursday, July 15, 2010

Forget What I Said Yesterday - NOT!

At one point the title of today's blog was simply going to be "Forget What I Said Yesterday".

I was on a bit of a rant yesterday because my weight loss has, at times, been dismissed as "luck" because I am a man and that means I tend to lose weight faster. The point, was that although I am grateful that I do lose weight faster my weight loss was anything but luck - it was hard work.

The problem is...when I weighed in at Weight Watchers yesterday it felt like what happened was indeed pure luck. It also flew in the face of everything I had said so I was a bit embarrassed. I wasn't even going to publicly state my weight loss in the meeting as I knew there were people there who had read the blog, and it seemed to fly in the face of my statements. My friend Albert singled me out though and forced me to speak (can you imagine....ME...being FORCED to speak? LOL)

If you read my blog yesterday morning, and the day prior, you will know that when I weighed-in on my own scale, which tends to be pretty close to Weight Watchers, on Tuesday morning I was up 2 pounds from my last Weight Watchers weigh-in. I only had 36 hours to go until my the next official weigh-in but I acknowledged that my weight fluctuates rapidly, both ways, and I could easily be "two pounds under" by last night.

I wasn't two pounds under. I was 4.4 pounds under.

To be honest more than anything else it just didn't make sense to me. It seemed like pure luck and all I could think was: "After my rant yesterday how the hell am I going to explain this in my blog? I have to tell people I am an idiot and to ignore yesterday's statements."

Upon reflection though, I am NOT going to say it was luck. When I eat well and the weight goes up, which does happen, I have to suck it up, so I shouldn't simply dismiss it when for some miraculous reason 6.4 pounds drops in 36 hours.

I am sure a lot was simply water retention letting go. I also went to the gym twice yesterday because I was frustrated with what I thought was a gain so I am thinking I went from an overly hydrated state to a dehydrated state, but the reason doesn't matter.

I worked hard this week and I even ate well at a Birthday Party BBQ, which is next to impossible for me, so I am not going to dismiss it as luck. Yes...its kinda freaky...but not luck.

That means I can hold my head up and still stand by yesterday's blog :-)

If I was indeed dehydrated it makes it hard to be "down" next week, but I am not going to focus on that. Simply on being healthy.

I just did the math and I have 7.4 pounds left to reach goal (not 5 as I said in the meeting for those of you who were there). I have 4 weeks to do it by August 11th as planned which works out to 1.85 pounds per week. Definitely doable :-)

Be healthy!

Alan

2 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats again on the weight loss this week. Want to pass on something I read yesterday - "A scale is a great tool to measure success, but setting a hard number as a goal can be discouraging". I know that you have not been setting too high of a goal week by week, but getting on the scales too often can be very discouraging. Stepping on the scales at this time of year can be very difficult, not just with all of the summer activities going on, but because of all of the extra fluids we drink in order to stay hydrated with the hot weather and humidity.
I think your rant was very healthy, plus the comments made regarding men being luckier when it comes to weight loss may have been a good thing. Not only are you doing what you can to stay on track, perhaps the comment helped to spur you on a little to make the extra effort, and prove that your weight loss is not luck because you are man, but due to the fact that you are serious by going to the gym and trying to eat healthy.
Take care my friend, and as a female I want to say - as far as I am concerned no matter what gender you are, losing weight is not a matter of luck, it is hard work, and your hard work is paying off!

Unknown said...

I really agree that setting a hard number as a goal is not generally a good idea if you tie a specific date to it you could end up feeling like a failure if you don't make it.

I know that is what I have done with my August 11th deadline but to be honest I think I am ok with it. I know I have accomplished a lot so as much as I will try for August 11th, if I don't make it I will still feel successful.

I really appreciate your comments Karen. If the "male" comments didn't motivate me you just did!

Hope you are doing well and your hard work is paying off as well!