Monday, July 5, 2010

Is giving myself permission to eat ok?




Pride is over for yet another year. It was a good one I think :-). I have been pondering something "post pride picture posting".

After the picture that I posted yesterday was taken I consumed a lot of calories. I'm not really talking about binge eating although I easily could be.

I think when you are "binging" you know you are. You just have this ravenous need to eat everything in site and feel out of control. Sometimes though, one can eat as much as they would eat if they were binging without feeling that "need" for food.

That was the case with me yesterday. When I look across the day I ate a lot. Throughout the day I had a fried egg sandwich, two ice cream cones, a double burger with cheese, and sweet potato fries. I also some vodka jello shots at a friends party, and had  a couple of beers (at least they were the 67 calorie beers).

The thing that struck me though is that I knew I was making bad choices but they were my choices and I felt in control. I also knew I would be going to a really good friends for dinner tonight and that I would probably eat and drink a bit much there. I feel in control. I know I will eat really well during the day today, have some fun tonight, and be right back on track tomorrow.

So the question is: Am I rationalizing having what I want or am I figuring out how to "balance" fun times? I also contemplated if I was throwing my body into a major tailspin with constantly changing messages.

I kind of think it is a bit of all three. It is good to know how to have fun, but I have to watch the "rationalization" side as fun leads to more fun which leads to more fun which leads to fat.

I also think it is good to send your body constantly changing messages as redundancy won't keep the body alive...it will settle into a pattern in much the same way doing the same exercises over and over again has decreasing beneficial results. That doesn't make it ok to eat crap though. You can just as easily confuse your body with healthy foods by rotating your "healthy" diet.

It is summer time and there are going to be social engagements. As I have said before...there are no real surprises in summer...we already know it tends to be a bit "social" so my goal right now is the same as it was in my "First Day Of Summer" blog. Be in control and healthy every second I can so I can feel a little "free" to enjoy the social times.

Be healthy!

Alan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is okay to give yourself permission. If you don't, you will feel deprived and that will lead to resentment and eventually leaving the program all together. Life is what you make it and only you can be the one to decide what you want more. You choose the food that may not be as healthy as it could be and you know that you may pay the price for it on the scale that week. You choose to decline to go in another direction with the food or the drinks and you may see a different result, but in the end only you know what is the right choice for you and only you will be the one living with the consequences on the scale.
Every season has its challenges.
You just have to remember....Quitting is not an option! Make your choice but in the end the longer it takes to get to goal, the longer you have to pay every time you step on the scale....get that lifetime and then you will be free!

Unknown said...

If only money motivated me. It never has really. I technically am "Lifetime" at WW but am over my goal weigh so still pay weekly. Historically I have found I un into more problems when it is "free" because I onlyHAVE to step on the scale once a month. I may keep paying even when I am at goal tis time just to keep myself officially accountable on a weekly basis.

I think focussing on the nutritional side of food will get me further than focussing on the financial side.

Quade said...

I think awareness makes the difference, which you have. You're deciding and sometimes you decide to eat like a teenager at a carnival midway, and sometimes you decide to eat like the teenager's Dad who's watching his midsection. Maybe the test is what you do today - after the picture has been done, you have no big motivator to keep you in check. Today - do you eat like Teen, or like Dad? (sorry about the teen/dad analogy - my 14 year old niece is visiting and suddenly the whole world is split into two parties - teens and, uh, the rest of us. :-)

Unknown said...

I really like the Teen/Dad Analogy. Sort of like a polite way of saying...are you a kid or an Adult...which is actually a very valid question....sometimes being a bit of both can be ok though :-)

Anthonydipasquale.com said...

Ya you better be in the float next year, baby! Sorry- responding to yesterday's news . . . Sweet potatoe fries? Next time make them yourself! With coconut oil- then they will be metabolism sweet potatoe fries. Instead of just junk.

I do realise, that's kinda impossible if you are out, though :)

Unknown said...

I really should do that. I have though of it many times and there is really no need to eat Sweet Potato fries out. I could satisfy the craving at home. I guess the good news is I only ate half of them :-)