Saturday, July 10, 2010

"It's Never Too Late To Do It Again...You Know...To Do Things Differently"

Drop Dead Diva

Have you ever watched this show? Love it! The subject line of this blog is from the episode Jamie and I watched the other night. I believe that those words may form the most important statement on the planet if you want change in your life. No matter what the change may be.

It's very simple. If you don't believe those words, then change isn't going to happen. If you believe it with everything in your very being, and you don't stop believing it, then change will happen. The only real bitch is that it won't happen fast, and it may not happen the first time, but keep trying and eventually it will happen. Patterns CAN be broken.

The set-up for this show is incredibly stupid: Beautiful dumb blond model dies in a car crash and goes to heaven, she then gets in an argument with the gate keeper, presses a button and accidentally gets returned to earth...in the body of a large, intelligent, female lawyer.

OK...now that you are over the stupidity of the premise you can relax and enjoy the show. The experiences of the former beauty going through life and discovering both the trials and tribulations of a larger person, as well as other forms of beauty in life, is really quite touching. She faces the realization that for better or worse she can do anything she wants with this life...but she needs to let go of who she was first...and that is so very hard. Sound familiar? Same problem most of us face.

"Maybe we are not just where we live, or what we eat, or what we do. We are who we are and that's always changing" - Drop Dead Diva

On the personal front, yesterday was "ok" but not great. We had a planned dinner out with friends and I started out well. It was an all you can eat sushi restaurant and I only ate the really healthy stuff until the end when somebody ordered sweat and sour spareribs (I know...that's not even Japanese) and I caved in and ate some...well...a lot. That means today I must be perfect.

I think the point of my blog today is to say we should all look at our past, at who we have become and what we are not happy with in our lives. From there...we need to focus on change because change IS possible. For me, at this point in my life journey, my focus is on changing myself to be a healthier person.

What is your focus?

Be healthy!

Alan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to get back with a boyfriend I dumped and I have tried everything, but he is not listening - or rather not hearing me!

Oh well.......

Unknown said...

I am sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I think there are two things that at this point in my life I fiercely believe. The first is that we can absolutely change ourselves and the second is that we cannot change someone else. That advice to myself has saved my own marriage and made life pretty good.

You will get the chance to do it again...and the chance to do it differently...but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be wit the same person. Someday another boyfriend will come along and you will find yourself wondering if he is the one or if you should dump him. Only you will know what the right answer is...but you will have grown from what you have recently learned and make a more informed decision.

We live...we learn...and we change.

Do good thing for yourself and life will change..it may be slow...but it will change.