Thursday, June 17, 2010

"UP" as expected but not too bad

I was up .4 pounds when I weighed-in yesterday. I can live with that but it makes it up 3 pounds over the past two weeks so I cannot ignore it.

The good news I am feeing good, back to eating well, and will head to the gym as soon as I have written this blog. The roller coaster is heading in the right direction again. Yeah!

So today I am going to start the count down. Only 17 days to go until I take a photo of myself shirtless on a busy street and post it on this blog.

What does that mean? It means I am in training mode. This is good, as changing something is always the most effective form of weight loss for me.

Training mode, to me, means working out daily (no excuses) and cutting out the bad carbs. No Bread, Pasta, or Potatoes for the next 17 days. I know, I know, Potatoes can be considered good carbs but it is safer for me to cut them out. It is only temporary and that way I will not convince myself french fries are allowed. My carbohydrates will have to come from fruits and vegetables.

My nutritionist buddy has also been bugging me to do a "fast" to cleanse my body. I am going to do that next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. His definition of fast doesn't necessarily mean no food though. It basically means raw fruit and vegetables only.

For me this is doable, and is the change I may need for now. It is also good for my long-term health so it isn't just "overdoing it" for the sake of vanity (but yeah...that's part of it too).

Started taking the 5HTP supplements I mentioned yesterday but so far no real effect...maybe it needs to build up...I will keep taking them.

So wish me luck...the count down begins!

Alan

4 comments:

Karen said...

Glad to hear it was only a small gain, and that you are getting back on track. I find it amazing how quickly our scales can go up compared with how slow they seem to go down. When you were talking about potatoes I was reminded of a commercial that is on TV about french fries are not considered a vegtable, that is something we all must remember.
I can't wait to see the photo in 18 days. I do think that the parade is on TV (would love to attend, but 1 trip to Toronto a year is enough for me) at least it used to be, so if it is I will be watching to see if I might recognize my shirtless friend.
Take care and I hope the 5HTP supplements help.

Unknown said...

LOL Thanks

I am not sure I will actually watch the parade. After a while they are all the same and 10 minutes with my shirt off walking up Church Street is probably all the city can handle of me. Don't want to spoil anyone's appetite for...whatever...lol

Alan

Anonymous said...

You will make your walk and be proud of yourself, no matter what the scale is saying! You're back in control and as you well know, the mindset is the biggest part of the battle. No bread, pasta or potatoes for 18 days? That would be a huge challenge for me but if you put your mind to it, I'm sure you can do it.
How was the meeting last night? I couldn't stay and I hate when that happens but with kids summer activities I just can't stay every week. Almost didn't go weigh in because I thougth I'd be up but I needed to face it and actually ended up being down 1.
Have a great week.

Unknown said...

Good for you! Facing the scale can be hard and I know I have historically become an expert at avoiding it but it has only got me in trouble. Yesterday's meeting was ok but to be honest I didn't really find it that worthwhile.

The focus was about how you need to watch the extra points that can creep in when you double up portion size. Two one point WW bars, for instance, are not 2 points if you eat two together because you can't count more than 4 grams of fibre for both and that throws everything off.

While the point is valid, I don't think any of us got fat eating two one point pars instead of one. Maybe because we ate the whole box but that is a different story. That being too many points is obvious.

Just didn't think the topic warranted a whole meeting but the point is valid nonetheless.

I hope you have a great week!