Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hungry Days

Not eating "bad carbs" is hard. They are what fill me up! I am determined though. There are only 15 more days to go until I bare myself in public and I am going to do it. So it's fifteen more days with no bad carbs.

We are going to a party tonight but I am feeling strong so I can and will behave (at least with regard to food)! It may help that there will be people at the party who I know read the blog....eyes will be on me LOL. As Martha would say: "It's A Good Thing" :-)

Noticed I didn't say "no wine", however...I have my limits.

I have been trying to evaluate whether taking 5-HTP tablets actually does reduce carb cravings but to be honest I don't know how to evaluate it. It seems to be working in the sense that I am not really craving "bread" foods like I often do, but it is the carbs that make me feel full so not having them makes me hungry. It is really difficult, if not impossible, to know the difference between carb cravings and food cravings I think.

What I do hope is that over the remaining 15 days without carbs my body will start to get used to NOT having them. The real challenge will be re-introducing them in moderation.

Moderation is not something I am known for...hence the weight problem.

My eating habits have been extremely good over the last couple of days. As Karen mentioned in her post to me yesterday, it is amazing how effective having a small goal can be. It doesn't leave time for excuses like "I will do it tomorrow".

I used to believe that the type of challenge I am putting myself under right now is not healthy but I have changed my mind. Just like your exercise needs to be "changed up" or your body gets too used to it and doesn't respond, your food needs to be "changed up" too. So eliminating foods from your diet on a temporary basis can be a good thing.

There is a diet out there called the rotating diet (although it is not a "diet"). It proposes the elimination of different food groups on a rotating basis and is supposed to help improve your immune system and help prevent allergies. I have done it on a temporary basis before and it actually makes a lot a sense to me. They still say eat healthy, still say get all your food groups in, they just propose eliminating food groups for a few days on a regular basis. To me that makes sense and it is something I will look into further for "post goal" eating habits...for now though...I have enough to focus on.

Be healthy!

Alan

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just accidentally had an 11 point salad. Depressing.
I went to Wendys and had their Mandarin Chicken Salad with Grilled Chicken Fillet. I asked them to hold the crispy noodles and Almonds and give me the Light Dijon Mustard Dressing. I had it and it was delicious. Then I looked at the dressing package and it wasn't light! 250 calories, 24 grams of fat, and 0gm fibre. The dressing was basically the equivalent of a chocolate bar. Sigh :-(

Quade said...

I'll be for you tonight like the guys they hire to keep celebrities sober. I'll be on you like white on rice...oh sorry, that's a carb...

Karen said...

Just 'weighing' in on your lunch. I think that has to be one of the worse things that I have seen, and have been aware of for some time. The calory count and grams of fat in those little dressing packages you get with your take out salads.
Remember your water - it may be boring but it is filling. We bought those little flavour packs for our water, only 5 - 10 calories per pack depending on what kind you get. We have also found that we prefer only 1/2 package to 8 - 10 ounces of water, so the calories are evenless.
Enjoy your night.

Unknown said...

Quade: Being a white guy with an Asian partner there are so many unpublishable "white on rice" comments running through my head LOL

Karen: Drinking my water now...in preparation for my wine.

Alan