Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Is It Worth It?

A month or so ago I was in Hamilton visiting my friend Wendy. She reads my blog and says she enjoys it but wonders if all the weight loss struggles are really worth it. Does all the "work" involved mean I am somehow missing out on having fun?

I think I have always known the answer to that question but it has still been in the back of my mind ever since.

I guess the first question would be is WHAT worth it? Working to toward weight loss is the obvious but what does that mean?

Some of the things that come to my mind are:

1) Constantly thinking about food.
2) Feeling you have to plan everything...even fun.
3) Feeling like you repetitively "blew it".
4) Feeling hungry even though you know your not supposed to.
5) Doing all the right things and not seeing results.
6) Achieving success only to watch it slip away.

Believe me, I know all about the struggles and the downside of the journey, but I also know the upside:

1) Knowing you can cut your toenails without running out of breath.
2) Feeling like you actually CAN exercise again.
3) Knowing you are likely going to have a longer life.
4) Knowing that when you do slide in the wrong direction that each time the slope down is shorter before you find a way to deal with it.
5) Knowing that even if you are not losing weight you are not gaining it. What weight would I be if I hadn't started this journey so many years ago?
6) Understanding that I CAN have fun with and without food and drink and if I blow it is not only not the end of the world, it is also sometimes worth it.
7) Gaining Confidence in myself and who I am. I don't think thin people really understand how much weight affects confidence...but man does it ever.
8) Realizing that you are not alone and there is soooo much support out there if you simply embrace it.
9) Enjoying getting out of bed in the morning.
10) This ones for the guys: That wonderful feeling you get when you can finally see your "peetee" again. It's like finding a long lost friend :-)

So I think the answer is obvious. It is not only worth it there is little in this world more worth it.

Life can be amazing if you keep yourself healthy. This is true no matter what weight you are.

Today is day three, and the final day, of the "raw fruits and veggies only" cleanse and I am doing great. Not so hungry anymore.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: