Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sweets Day

What a brilliant day we had.

It started out with breakfast at the B&B. I didn't make the smartest decision there (surprise). The mainly problem was I got myself distracted looking at train options for getting to Edinburgh. So distracted that I didn't get a chance to look at the options on the little menu they had before the owner came around to see what we wanted. Jamie said "I'll have the full breakfast" and in my rush to make a decision I just said "same".

Full Fat Yogurt To Start
Full Breakfast With White Bread (at least I only had one slice)
At 9:00AM Uncle Jock picked us up and we went on a tour of Annan. I loved it but what really made me happy was how much Jamie loved it. I was afraid this leg of the journey might bore him but he was so welcomed by my relatives that he truly felt part of the family. He particularly seems to have fallen in love with Uncle Jock's wife Aunt Irene. It really makes me happy to see him excited about the family. He even said twice throughout the day "I am really glad the cruise didn't happen so that we ended up on this trip". I think this journey for us was meant to be.

After seeing sights like the place where my mother's house growing up was (there is a factory there now), the bridge where my Aunt Maisie and Uncle Steve (who have now passed but lived in Canada) first met, the Annan River, the house where my mother's best friend Elizabeth Morgan lived, etc., we were off to meet my Uncle Harris for the first time in 14 years.

Along the way we met Elizabeth Morgan's sister so that was kind of cool. Truth be told though, my mother met Elizabeth later in life and although they had been really close friends as children they discovered they no longer liked each other all that much as adults. People do change.

We had a brief stop for Tea at Uncle Jock's to pick up Aunt Irene and while we were there we went though old photographs. It was here I had my first treat.

That crumpled up wrapper is mine. I ate a chocolate Mallow Bar
and one chocolate covered Digestive Biscuit.

Then we were off to Uncle Harris and Aunt Janice's. On the way we stopped off at the Cemetery where I was able to see where my Grandmother and Grandfather were buried as well as their son (my Mom's brother) Alec, who died at 16.

We also visited my Aunt June and Uncle Joe at the Cemetery. I remember them well. The last time they were in Canada Aunt June had been speaking of leg pains while she was there. She died of Cancer, which was causing the pain, only a few months later, and Uncle Joe followed a few years after.

It was great to see Uncle Harris again. When I last saw him we had trouble getting the man out of a bar. Today he is a converted Jehovah Witness. I would say he was a changed man if it weren't for the fact that he hadn't changed at all. He was still the same joker he always was. Janet his wife is adorable. Of course the treats came out and I indulged again.

The Missing Candy Muffin Was In My Mouth
What I didn't expect to see was the amount of memorabilia he had kept. He had a "Store Opening" Flyer from when my Dad and brother opened a Mr Grocer Supermarket in Hamilton, as well as the Newspaper Story that appeared about the opening, tons of pictures but one additional thing that really shocked me.

I have mentioned in earlier blogs the story of my friend Kelly dying in a boating accident when we were both 15. I hadn't recalled that this occurred shortly after my uncle had visited us n Canada. He had pictures of the boat before the accident but also a letter I had written him three months after the accident telling him about it. It wasn't all that heavy in content but pretty emotional to read nonetheless. Jamie took a picture of it and I will post it on a blog when I return, Unfortunately I can only post the crappy pics I take with my iphone as we forgot the cord to upload the camera pictures to the computer.

After Uncle Harris' we were off to visit my Uncle Marty and Aunt Sheila. Of course it was great to see them too. Apparently I was named after Uncle Marty (my middle name is Martin) and I have to tell you I hope I got his genes. The man is 86 years old and still looks fantastic!

Uncle Marty told us stories about my parents wedding and how there was a flower mix up so they stole hundreds of daffodils from some poor souls garden in order to ensure they had plenty of flowers in the Church. It was a great end to a a great day. They brought dinner in, which consisted of Fish and Chips, a Beer, and Ice Cream with fruit, and more cream poured on top. I would say I only ate till I was full but I never got full.




So it was definitely a day of eating. The only saving grace was that we never actually had lunch. I am thinking it is not really enough to save me though. I could feel the tummy getting bigger last night.

In the evening Jamie watched TV and I went for a night walk through Annan. Being on my own for a bit in Annan was indescribable. I could just feel "Annan" in me. I contemplated going in for a beer at a local pub just to experience that, but there were only two people in it and I didn't think I would feel comfortable.

Today after breakfast I think we are off to Lockerbie which is just a few miles away to see the plane bombing site. I am sure it will be another day of adventure.

I have posted pics of Annan below for those interested. Once we get home we will post the good pics off of our camera on Facebook. I regret that I don't have a picture here of Aunt Irene or Aunt Janet, but we do have them on the good Camera so they will be posted when we return, if I don't get an iphone pic in the next couple of days.

Today is Jamie and my Wedding Anniversary :-)

Be healthy!

Alan

High Street In Annan

Annan

Jamie out in Annan

The Church My Parents Married In

Uncle Jock

Jamie at Annan River

Annan River

The house my mother grew up in was behind that puddle.
A factory is on the property now.

Elizabeth Morgan's house.
My Mom's best friend growing up.

My Uncle Jock was a Town Councillor. His legal name is "John"
This appears in a local Sports Centre  he helped get
the funding for.

Uncle Jock competes in Flower Shows.
These are in his backyard.

More flowers from Uncle Jock's Backyard

More Flowers from Uncle Jock's Backyard

Jamie and Uncle Jock

Uncle Jock's House

Tombstone for my Grandmother, Grandfather,
and Uncle Alex who died at 16.

Tombstone for my Uncle Joe and Aunt June.
I remember them well.

My Uncle Harris

My Uncle Marty. Not bad for 86!

My Aunt Shiela
Uncle Marty's Wife,

2 comments:

Janet said...

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! Ken & I will be celebrating our 20th next week Wednesday. OMG - 20 years!!!

Unknown said...

Thats fantastic! Gongrats!!!