Monday, August 30, 2010

ALAN GETS THE HALO TODAY!

OK...Maybe it is not earned but I have got a HALO!

Started the day out yesterday much the same as the day before. Breakfast spread on the table (although I did have to point out some mouldy crumpets). I had a bowl of cereal and a danish. I didn't have my camera with me so no picture of that but basically the same as yesterday.

We then set off for Buckingham Palace.

Changing of a Duty Guard
Uh oh...Tummy is coming out

The Pillars on either side of the gate below have "CANADA" engraved in them:



We waited about an hour to get as good a view as we could and then we watched the "Changing Of The Guards"which was about 45 minutes long.

Kid trying to get a good look





After the Changing of the Guards we walked over to the High-End Shops and, of course, to Harrods. Absolutely amazing to see. There was a memorial to Diana and Dodi Al Fayed in Harrods and both Jamie and I signed the Memorial Book.




We were hungry for lunch at this point but in the High End District we figured everything would be super posh and expensive. There was one place called "Spaghetti House" and we figured "How posh can you be with a name like that?". We went there and the price and food was quite reasonable so we split an order of Spaghetti.


After lunch we were tired and we knew we wanted to go out into the city that night, so, being he old men we are, we went back to the B&B and slep for the afternoon. Of course, our room was not done up again and the towels are beginning to mount.


Once we were up and showered we headed back out into the city. One thing that surprises us is how steep the elevators to the underground tube stations are.

















When we came out of the elevator we were at my favourite show Avenue Q. We won't see it here as we have seen it twice on Broadway and once in Toronto but if it is ever in your area go and see it. It is hilarious and smart!


Next stop was dinner. We once again went into an empty restaurant in a busy place. We should know better! The restaurant was Indian and I had Chicken Tandoori. Awful!




I only ate one piece of chicken and asked for a doggie bag for the second figuring I would give it to a homeless person but I couldn't find one. Naturally I was approached by one two minutes after I had finally thrown the chicken out.

So onto the bar scene we went. 

When you are in the bar scene with a partner of 12 years who is not really into going out, the best thing to do is find a drag show. Then you have something to watch until you, hopefully, meet someone to talk to. We stumbled across a drag show that was quite fun.




Even better then the show though were the bar boys at this place.




It wasn't until we went outside on the patio that we actually met some people though. We met Caroline and Liam who were a lot of fun. Caroline was looking fabulous in a shirt she said she hasn't worn for years. She has being doing WW like many of us and looks great!


This isn't a good picture but Liam said I had the same hair as this lady. I am not sure if he is my friend anymore LOL


We also briefly met an awesome couple of guys who were entering a DJ contest on the second floor. They are below. We weren't able to stay for the competition but they have this website address so I hope they blog and tell us how the did!





Just before we left I walked in the bar and a guy cruised me so of course I had to take his pick...even though it isn't a good pic :-)


After the bar we did more street walking and tube riding and ended up back by the London Eye and Big Ben at night.



When we got back to the B&B the room still wasn't done nor were the towels changed event though we had told the "stand in" host before we left...sigh.

There is one other thing I did. I bought a pretty skin tight shirt that I can't fit into. When I get back I am going to set a goal date for fitting into this damn shirt. The determination to get into this shirt will get me right back on track.


Be healthy!

Alan

3 comments:

Unknown said...

SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR KAREN: I can't find any elephants I am afraid :-(. I googled it and found his web page that says "the elephants have left the streets of London:

http://www.elephantparadelondon.org/

Alan

Karen said...

Thank you for looking for me, I do appreciate the effort. You look like you are having soooo much fun. Quite unfortunate that your hosts in London are not of the same mind set as the exceptional hosts Bob and I when we visited Toronto this past summer - and I think you know who I mean. Enjoy your last few days.
Take care my friends.

Unknown said...

LOL. Thanks Karen. We just got home and the room was actually cleaned and the dirty towels are gone....yeah!!!