Friday, August 13, 2010

!st Day In England Food Review

















Well the we just woke up after our first day in England. As the Brits would say it was Brilliant!

Day 1 was spent mostly getting set up with a small tour of beautiful Bournemouth. Love it here!

From a food perspective it is really quite hard to say how I did. I can''t say I ate healthy (see pictures above) but I did make some good decisions.

I declined the offer of shortbread biscuits while on the car ride from the Airport to Bournemouth and I haven't even opened the three HUGE Dairy Milk Bars our friends had purchased for us and had lying waiting for us upon our arrival in our room. They look soooooo good :-)

At lunchtime we had open faced sandwiches with selected cold cuts. I had one slice of delicious whole grain bread with some cold cuts, cucumbers and tomatoes. No cheese and no second or third sandwich.

Dinner wasn't healthy but I had TOTALLY intended to have this meal at some point.

Before I left I had said that no matter what I was going for English Fish and Chips. That is exactly what we did.

Our friends took us to what they said was the best Fish and Chip place in England, and judging by the long wait to get a table we knew they were right. The food was delicious!

Jamie, pictured above, ordered the Fish and Chips they call "whale size". I had a more modest "meal deal" but if I am being honest I picked t because it came with a Carlsberg.

It was delicious but the third picture was taken to show you that I DID NOT eat all the delicious chips. I stopped when I was full and the final picture is what I left behind.

So healthy...no...but I made some good decisions.

Off to Isle of Wight now.

Be healthy!

Alan

6 comments:

Karen said...

I must say that I envy you sooo much, England is definitely my dream destination, as is Africa, as I love elephants. You must if you are in London, take a picture or two of the elephants they have spread out decorating the city. They are similar to the moose that Toronto had so many of, and now I believe there is only one left - a Toronto Maple Leaf decorated one, at the Wheat Sheaf.
You did very well - leaving food on your plate, and quitting when you were full. Also being able to resist the chocolate - sometimes when it is readily available and you don't have to hide it - it is not quite as appealing. When the time is right and you feel you want a treat it will be waiting for you. Perhaps you may even have one bar left to bring home and take to your WW meeting, now that would be will power.
Remember to get some exercise while away - even a good brisk walk will help you to keep the scales where you want them.
Take care my friend.

Unknown said...

Thanks Karen! I am having an amazing time and will look for the elephants when we get to London :-)

I love the idea of brining a chocolate bar to WW to prove I resisted it (that is if Jamie doesn't eat it on me :-) ).

So far have been real good foodwise...will try and keep it up for dinner :-)

Portia said...

Oh, Alan, I am sooooo very proud of you as always! Yes, the food is delish there. My favourites: the whole grain breads, their creamed soups (no other like them), the ploughman's lunch, Scottish fish & chips are the bestest ever, the English/Scottish full breakfast and of course the tea biscuits with strawberries and clotted cream! Yummmmo! Can't wait to read your next entry. Love you sooo much..and wish I was with you both! be safe! xo

Unknown said...

Thanks Dea! I got hungry just reading your post! LOL

Alf Lesurf said...

Sounds like you are making some great choices! I'd kill for a very small slab of Dairy Milk right now!

Keep enjoying your trip and I look forward to seeing you both soon. :o)

Unknown said...

Thanks Alf! Really looking forward to seeing you in London! We had decided to spend two additional days in London so we have booked into that B&B at Kennington place from the 27th - 31st (checking out the 1st) :-)

Alan