Sunday, August 22, 2010

DAD LOVED THE SCOTTISH TATOO!

I think you must be getting bored with me saying every day is amazing but yesterday was yet another magnificent day.

It started out with Brunch with some guests who had stayed at our B&B about three years ago. They drove over two hours to see us!

We met Andrew and Kirsten at SaltRock Cafe along with their two adorable daughters Lucy and Indigo (new additions since we saw them last).

Kirsten (sorry it's dark)
Andrew (still sorry it's dark)
Lucy

Indigo


I looked at the breakfast menu in the cafe and I TRULY thought I was ordering a healthy option. It was a vegetarian option with eggs, tomatoes, haggis, beans etc. It didn't occur to me that everything would be fried. They even threw in some fried Potato Scones (which I didn't mind because I love them).

While at the restaurant Andrew called me over to the counter and told me I had to see these incredible cupcakes. I didn't actually eat them but I laughed because as soon as I saw them I knew they were made by our friend Catherine who runs a catering business here. The person behind the counter confirmed for us that they were indeed Catherine's.

Catherine's Cupcakes

We then walked around the city centre with Andrew, Kirsten and family which included a stop at Harvey Nichols where they showed us a chocolate conveyer belt. Again...we didn't eat any but it was nice to see.


Jamie and I spent the afternoon shopping and I bought a nice sweater from Harvey Nichols and Jamie bought new Running Shoes from another store.

We ran into a problem at lunch though. All started out well. We were kind of hungry but wanted to stay a little healthy so we walked around looking at options.

At some point Jamie decided he felt like Indian so we started looking for an Indian restaurant. It seemed like forever before we found one but we finally did...the sign said "Open" and there was a sandwich board with the specials on it but when we went inside the lights were out and nobody was there.

So we kept walking...and walking...and walking until FINALLY we found another Indian Restaurant. It had a sandwich board out advertising 2 for 1 lunch from 2- 5 and it was 3:00. We opened the door to see an interior sign that said "sorry we are closed".

Later that night Catherine told us that sometimes during the festival restaurants can actually run out of food. Maybe that is what happened with these places.

Have you ever reached a point where you are suddenly so hungry you could eat everything in site? We were at this point.

Right next door and up the stairs was a chinese restaurant. We were starving so we went up and ordered really bad. I had Sweet and Sour Spareribs and Jamie had Chilli Beef.

The first sign that it might not be good should have been that the restaurant was empty in the middle of the festival. It was not good. In fact Jamie said it was the worst rice he had ever tasted...of course we ate it anyway.


After getting lost a few times we finally made it home on the bus, had a nap and headed to Catherine and Angelo's for dinner. The meal was great and very healthy except for the Wine and Chocolate Liqueur.

I had chicken and Aubergine with Parmesan Cheese, and Spinach. Jamie had the same with some Pasta as well. For dessert we had Strawberries and Raspberries with just a touch of cream. Delicious!
View Form Catherine and Angelo's Flat
Dom hard at work in the Kitchen




Then we were off the Royal Edinburgh Tattoo. My Dad used to talk about how he loved "The Tattoo". I now understand why. It was precision at it's best but filled with moments of humour and sadness. It was a show Jamie and I will never forget.



After the Tatoo we walked home to our flat. It is probably a one hour walk but it took us two hours because we kept getting lost and the only people to ask for directions at 2:00 in the morning on a Saturday night are drunk people. Some things are the same in very country :-).

This seems almost hypocritical of me at this point but, be healthy!

Alan

2 comments:

Karen said...

I must say thank you for allowing those of us who read your blog, to enjoy your vacation with you. I must say that I am glad that I am in Canada and not with you, as I don't know how you can resist all of the delicious foods and treats that you are posting photos of here. I am so glad that both of your are having a great time. I do look forward to reading your blog everyday. Your family and B & B guests appear to be so welcoming.

Take care my friends, and remember some people dread turning 50, others say 50 is just a number, but for you it will be a return visit. Oh - Happy belated Anniversay, now that I know the date I will remember next year.

Unknown said...

Thanks Karen...I only wish I could say I WAS resisting all of the delicious food. Ah well...I will repair damage when I am home :-)

Alan