Friday, August 20, 2010

LEAVING ANNAN - A LITTLE EMOTIONAL

Well...this morning is the morning we leave our relatives behind and continue our journey. I am happy to say "we leave our relatives" because Jamie has clearly been welcomed into the family. It means so much to both of us.

Yesterday morning started out well once again and went down hill from there food-wise LOL. I had Mushrooms on Ciabatta for breakfast. I should note that these morning breakfast pictures are on quite small plates so they are not as big as they may appear.



After breakfast we went out to do an hours shopping on Annan's High Street. We had been getting a bit worried that we weren't going to have time to do this. Our Uncle's had promised to have us back in the afternoon so we could go through the shops before they closed at 5pm but we were afraid things might run late so we thought we would quickly get an hour in. It turns out is only takes an hour to go through the shops in Annan LOL. There was no need to go back in the afternoon.

Uncle Harris picked us up and took us to a little town called Moffat. Beautiful place but unfortunately other than lunch I forgot to take the camera out.

For lunch we had a second breakfast. It was our first REAL English Breakfast complete with Haggis, Black Pudding and Potato Scones. The plate in the picture below is a BIG plate. The only good news is I couldn't eat the majority of Bacon and Sausage.

Uncle Harris at Lunch
Aunt Janet at Lnch



We bought a Tartan blanket to curl up under at home while watching the Telee (how the hell do you spell television in Scottish?) and then headed back to Uncle Jock's and Aunt Irene's for tea.

While we were there I met Uncle Jock's daughter (my cousin) Lorraine for the first time and her two children Kirsten and Paul (but I promised Paul I would tell everyone in Canada his name is Keith because he likes that name :-) ). They were all awesome. We felt a real connection with Lorraine. She is funny and the type of person we love to hang out with.
Keith(Paul), Aunt Irene, Uncle Harris,Aunt Janet, Jamie, Cousin Lorraine
Uncle Jock and Kirsten





Keith and Kirsten





After tea we were dropped off at Stapelton Rd where my Grandparent;s house had been, There is a factory there now but I wanted to walk around the area and then walk down High Street back to the B&B.

Grandparents House Was Here

On the walk home we went by the church my parents got married in again. It is still operational but the windows that are not stained glass have plastic over the glass. We peaked through and got the best view of the inside we could.


We walked into Solway Cafe too. Apparently it has changed completely but was always called Solway Cafe, even when my Mom lived here so we wanted to go in.



After that we walked back to the B&B. There is a building just a few doors up from the B&B on High Street where my parent's wedding reception had been. The interior has been completely redone since. It is now a cafe/bar and Jamie and I had tried a few times to get in but the timing never worked out (they are only open 10-4). Today we were able to go in and have a drink in the same room my parents had their wedding reception.

Wedding  Reception Was On The Second Floor























At this point we were really far behind schedule. We had 20 minutes for a quick shower before Uncle Jock and Aunt Irene picked us up again. We made it...sort of.

We were to go to see Uncle Marty and Aunt Sheila but when we got there they were not home. It was a bit surprising as this was to be our "goodbye" visit with them. 

We went back to Uncle Jock's and Aunt Irene's for more tea while we waited for them to come home. We enjoyed our afternoon there but after a couple of hours we were all starting to be quite concerned that something had happened that was not good.

Eventually they turned up and we were able to go over and say goodbye.They had simply been shopping in Dunfries. To be fair, nobody had really told them what time we would be there so I guess they had to go out sometime and it just happened to be the time we went over to see them.

We managed to get a half hour visit in and sadly said goodbye to Uncle Marty and Aunt Sheila. They do not go out in the evenings anymore so would not be joining us for dinner.

We then carried on to a wonderful restaurant for dinner with Uncle Jock, Aunt Irene, Uncle Harris and Aunt Janet. I had Duck for dinner and Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert which was four times the size of the one I had had the other day.



The day had come to an end and Jamie and I had to bid our final goodbye to Uncle Harris and Aunt Janet. After we got back to the B&B Jamie and I both spoke of how emotional we felt about leaving. This has truly been the best holiday we have ever had.

In an hour and a half Uncle Jock and Aunt Irene will pick us up o take us to the Lockerbie Train Station where we really will say the final emotional goodbye. 

It is sad to think we are leaving but Jamie and I have promised to come back for my 50th birthday which is only two and a half years away so I have something to look forward to.

I am not sure what our internet access will be like in Edinburgh so you may not hear from me as much but you will hear from me somehow.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: