Monday, August 9, 2010

I Hate August 8th

Asian Culture says the number 8 is lucky. So August 8th which is a double 8 should be extra lucky by definition.

In my experience it never actually works out that way. It sucks.

As those who read yesterday's blog know it is the day my friend Kelly and my sister Shirley passed away (years apart though).

Yesterday, we got more bad news. A dear friend of our's mother, who has been ill with Cancer, has taken a turn for the worst. Our friend is flying back home to see her mother and we want her to know that above all else our thoughts are with her. She is doing what she needs to do at this time and that is the most important thing in the world.

On a hugely lesser note, but significant nonetheless, it drastically changes our vacation plans.  The cruise we were going on was tied to our friend, and it now appears we will not be going on the cruise.

We have paid for the flight to England already, and we have committed to paying someone to run the B&B in our absence, so we will still go on Wednesday...but we are quickly trying to figure out what to do for the three weeks we are there without it costing us a fortune.

I am hopeful we might pop over to Edinburgh to see my friend (who writes on this blog as "cdp") and then go to a little town of Annan where my mother grew up. I have never been there but it would great to meet my relatives and see some of the ones who have visited us in Canada again. We may also try to get to Tring in Hertfordshire which is where my Dad grew up.

I am really scared about food now though. At least on the cruise I had been there and thought I could handle myself. I have a feeling it will be a lot harder on this "new" vacation.

I envision quite a few nights in Scottish pubs. The problem is I am not mentally prepared for it, and I have always wanted to enjoy the "scottish pub life" so I don't really WANT to behave. That is the most scary thing of all.

We leave in two days and have no idea what we are actually doing so things are a bit frantic for us right now.

Wish us luck and be healthy!

Alan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW....as if you didn't have enough going on emotionally right now. It is said, you are only given as much as you can handle so you must be a very strong person and you will get through this too.
I can't begin to imagine how you will do it, but it is still going to be vacation so try to take it as an adventure and enjoy the ride.
Definitely makes our struggles with a few points look insignificant compared to everything else though.
Just remember how lousy you felt when you 'overindulged' before and that might help to keep you a little bit in check.
See you Wednesday...still itching.
Mys. W.W.

Unknown said...

Thank Mys W.W.

Going crazy trying to get work things cleaned up. Will have to think about planning a revised criteria tonight.

If nothing else it is an adventure :-)