Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I Have Patellofemoral Syndrome

Doesn't that sound scary? I found out I had it on Saturday and have to do regular stretching exercises to help deal with it and also take glucosamine (which is not a medication so I'm cool with it). Glucosamine is something that builds up over about a month and then you keep taking it the rest of your life. I am not really good at taking pills consistently so I hope I can do this. I have actually tried glucosamine in the past because I heard it was good for knee pain but stopped taking it before it could really do any good. As the good Doctor says though..."it's my choice whether I want cartilage or not"...I'm not a big fan of choices like that.

It isn't as scary as it sounds and I think is relatively common. It basically means my knee caps are not sliding in their tracks properly. Particularly the left knee.

I always knew my knees hurt sometimes and it can get to me when I am doing squats, or even something as simple as walking up stairs, but I never bothered to actually LOOK at my knees.

I went to a chiropractor on Saturday who took one look at my left knee, through my jeans, and told me I had it. When she said this, I looked down and could see right through my jeans that my knee cap wasn't in the centre of my knee. Unbelievable that I had never noticed. The right one is off too but not as bad. Just goes to show that we really do have to pay attention to our bodies.

It is not arthritis though and I can still keep working out hard, I just have to pay attention and not stress the knee if I am feeling pain.

The Chiropractor believes that a big part of the problem is the fact that I sleep on my stomach, which I have known for a long time is not good for you. Apparently it is causing me to twist my head to the side to breath and that movement moves my hip into an odd position. There is a muscle or something she showed me on a digram that runs from the hip to the knee and it pulls on the knee cap. Go figure! So now I sleep with a tubular pillow in front of my stomach to help train my body not to roll onto the stomach. I have done it for three nights and I wake up more often but I am sure I will get used to it.

Today is day two of fruits and veggies only (except I did have an omelet for breakfast before I started yesterday). Surprisingly, I am not as hungry right now as I thought I would be.

Be healthy!

Alan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow....that was quite a weekend you had. Too bad about feeling so lousy after the indulge but it might just be the memory of it that will help you the next time around. Sorry to hear about your 'syndrome' but sounds like it is very manageable and won't affect your lifestyle much.
I do still think about those wild club days and all the fun I had then....and then say good night to my teens as they are staying up until all hours and I can barely make it past 11!
Won't be at the meeting tomorrow as I have my first and hopefully last case of poison ivy and am hideous to look at and horribly uncomfortable. I am determined to get in there at some point to weigh in when there is no meeting going on so please post about the topic and what you thought.
Thanks...have a great day!
Mys. WW.

Unknown said...

I have written so many times that I overate but "it was worth it!". This last time it definitely was NOT worth it. I am having to work sooo hard to undo the damage. I really hope I remember how awful I felt after all those candies.

I think you should come to the meeting tonight. I am sure you look fine and it would be sooo easy to finally identify who you are! Right now all I can do is identify who it is NOT by who is at the meeting when I know you won't be :-)

Anonymous said...

Caught your post through Tom M. I have had the patellofemoral syndrome for years and believe me the glucosamine works! Also, I can't say enough about the value of stretching and keeping those knee supporting muscles strong. Yoga is wonderful and has made a huge difference for me as well. Keep it up, you are definitely on the right track!
All the best,
DB

Unknown said...

Thanks DB!

I have started the exercise and the Glucosamine. >y nutritionist has me combining it with Chondroitin and Opt MSM (which you can actually get as one capsule by Natural Factors called MSM Joint Formula.

It's funny...rather than being "down" about" it it actually feels really good to know there are options that might help, and it is great to hear from someone it actually has helped!

Alan