Sunday, August 29, 2010

A HALO FOR JAMIE/DEVIL WEAR FOR ALAN


What a fantastic and beautiful day it was yesterday.

We started out with a wonderful breakfast spread at the B&B

My breakfast
After that we went into the city and the day started with going up The London Eye where you could easily see Big Ben and The Parliament Building. This was followed by a boat cruise along the River Thames.


After this we went for lunch at a Chinese Buffet. Yes it is the worst choice possible. I could have sworn I took a picture but it isn't on my iphone so I guess not. This was when my devil suit started to go on.

 Next Up: Westminster Abbey and the adjoining St Margaret's Church.




The onto the Prime Minister's Residence at 10 Downing.






Next stop is St Paul's Cathedral but before we get there we pass many beautiful places.



St Paul's




We didn't actually intend to go to the Gerkin next but after an hour of walking and getting very lost and we were there so here it is:




It was 3:30pm at this point and the most exciting part of the day was about to begin. We were about to meet Alf and his partner Paul.

Alf and I go back a long, and quite emotional, way.

We met online around 1995 but until yesterday we had never actually met in person. 

Alf was more than just an on-line friend though. He was my confidant through what is perhaps the most difficult time in my life. 

In June 1996 my parents were both diagnosed with Cancer (it was a re-diagnosis  for my mom after about ten years clear), in July 1996 my 7 year relationship came to an end, in August 1996 my Mom passed away. After this I moved in with my Dad for 9 months and took care of him until he passed away in May 1997. During this time, Alf was the one person I could say anything to. He didn't know anyone I knew so he was my "safe zone". I could say anything to him and know it wouldn't be repeated. He was such an amazing friend and yesterday, I finally met him.

Jamie was as excited about meeting them as me. He had heard me speak of Alf for so long. Before meeting them he said "this feels like a date we are getting ready for", and he was right...it was exactly what it felt like. I had a special shirt I wanted to wear and I even tried, without success, to fix my hair as we were coming out of the tube. After a day outside it was beyond repair. LOL

He was exactly what I expected and he says the reverse is true as well.

As I type this my eyes are getting watery. He has meant so much to me in my life and his partner Paul is such a super guy.

When my Dad died Alf sent me a poem he had read at his Nan's funeral. I ended up reading the same poem at my Dad's funeral. The connection between us is strong. This is our buddy Alf our new buddy Paul.

Alf On The Left and Paul on The Right
Devil


This is what I should have had.
Pizza with centre cut out and
a Salad in the centre. It is not
what I had.

I had lots of beer, a ridulously huge Pizza and a Fudge Sunday. When we were ordering dessert Alf told the waitress what he was having and then said ...and Jamie will have a Halo". Jamie was the only one strong enough to skip dessert.  

I know I should not say this and I might get beat up by some of you on the food front but this blog is supposed to be about being honest and right now I feel as though I have given up on the food front. I have gone from Angel (if I ever was one) to Devil.  I am still extremely motivated to get back on track when I return home but I only have three days left here and I know I don't have the motivation in me to be good for those last three days. 

I think I will just try to be a little less "bad".

We ended the day by walking around the SoHo district with Alf and Paul. It is sort of a red light district and quite fun. Then we had coffee and off to bed.

It was disappointing to find our room had not been made up when we got home. The B&B also had a sign saying that if we wanted our towels replaced to leave them on the shower floor. We did, and they got wet there, but were not replaced. Fortunately we found the towel closet ourselves.

We had a great day though and nothing could dampen our spirits.

Even though I am definitely not right now please do not follow my lead and be healthy,

Alan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't beat yourself up! You are on an incredible adventure, its not going to happen again anytime soon, so enjoy yourself. Just be careful because that scare the other night was awful and the last thing you want is to repeat it, or worse yet, end up in the hospital.
Take care of yourself, enjoy the trip and you know that you will be back on track when you return.
Safe travels coming back.
M. WW.

Unknown said...

Thank M WW. I really am making sure I remember the "scare". Still need my inhaler about 3 times every 24 hours and since I haven't used it in over 5 years the reminder is definitely there. I am making sure I have the inhaler with me at all times though. Kind of glad I get back on a Wednesday so I have a whole week befre I have to step on a WW scale! LOL This is indeed an amazing adventure. Best trip EVER!

cdp said...

One word .... tripadvisor ...
(LOL!!)