Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'M IN ENGLAND!!!!


Well… I made it safe and sound. To think that just about 12 hours ago I was sitting in a Weight Watcher’s meeting in Canada!

The trip in was great and our friends picked us up and drove us to their place in Bournemouth which is about a two hour drive. Their house is awesome and we are so excited about staying here until Monday morning.

I am very happy and excited to report that I REACHED GOAL!!!!  Actually not only did I reach goal I was under goal so now, at 176.4 pounds I have lost precisely 50.0 pounds! 

I had brought my before pictures, which I guess is a bit egotistical, but I had promised to do it and damn it…I am proud of myself!

My partner came to meeting with me and watched me reach goal. That made me so proud J. I am a lucky man.

So now what happens? I have found in the past that maintenance can be even harder than weight loss. It is hard to remain mindful of what you are putting in our mouth when you are not aiming for weight loss, and frankly, being “the same weight” every week is nowhere near as exciting as the up and down journey of weight loss. Even sad emotions when you are “up” remind you that you are living. Being the same? Not so much.

My partner is here with me in England reviewing this blog as I type. He doesn’t agree with what I am saying and thinks that we should always be excited about remaining at goal weight. He says he would feel like that accomplishment in itself is exciting. He says if he were to lose 50 pounds and keep it off for the next 20 years he would still feel elated. I wish I could say I would feel that way in twenty years but I am not so sure I would. Would you? What do you think?

My original intent had been to get to goal and then do a major shift on this blog to a focus on healthful eating. Theoretically I know that that is precisely what I SHOULD do but I also know that I am not there yet.

Why am I not there? Because I just started a three week vacation.

I am not sure if I have mentioned this but the last time I reached goal I went on vacation the very next day and gained 21 pounds! I gain sooooo easily.

So, I have to ensure I do not repeat the scenario again but I also have to be realistic. I am giving myself five pounds.
If I gain five pounds in the next three weeks I will consider the vacation a victory from a weight loss perspective.

After I get home I have to lose what I gained…and then the full on switch to the health perspective will begin.

Don’t worry, there will still be a “weight” focus. If I have learned anything on this journey it is that struggle never really ends…you just live happier and feel better about yourself while you struggle.

I was so touched when someone at the meeting last night came up and gave me a big hug and told me she reads my blog every day and it makes here laugh, it makes her cry, and it motivates her.

It really means a lot to me when I hear feedback like this.
To be honest, when I started this blog I knew I would talk about my weight issues but I never anticipated what an emotional journey it would be.

Hmmm…weight issues tied to emotions…imagine that! Shocker.

I am going to need a lot of help and support without judgment the next three weeks. I fully intend to have fun, and I fully intend to eat and drink, but I have to make sure I don’t pay for it for the next six months.

So I look forward to hearing back from you as I tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly of my trip.

Be healthy!

Alan









2 comments:

Karen said...

You definitely have my support and I am so proud of you!! 50lbs. what an accomplishment.
You will remain at your goal because you are determined to do so, and those of us that care, will be here to help you along the way.
I was beginning to worry when I had not seen you post yet, glad the two of you arrived safely. Enjoy your vacation, and remember to eat and drink healthy (okay most of the time).
Take care my friend.

Unknown said...

Thank Karen! I can't tell you how much the motivation I get from people like you means to me.

About to writ my blog about my 1st day in England :-)


Alan