Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day At The Isle Of Wight Was Absolutely Smashing!




Hi All!

Yesterday we had a truly brilliant day!

The friends we are staying with here in Bournemouth are the best. They are like family to us.

They have seen me when I am, well, larger, so are very respectful of my food choices and totally non-judgemental. The tempting options are available but there is absolutely no pressure to eat the bad things, and no judgement if I do decide to indulge a bit. I wish it were always this easy!

For breakfast Tineke (the Mom) made us delicious scrambled eggs on one slice of brown bread. Perfect! I wish I had taken a picture but didn't think of it at the time.

We then set off to The Isle of Wight with Tineke and one of her daughter's Kimme (Kimme lived in Toronto for two years and we considered her our daughter when she was there). You get to Isle of Wight by Ferry from Southampton which is about a 45 minute drive away.

Ironically the Ferry leaves from the same port our cruise ship leaves from today. The port behind me in the picture above is where the ship will be sitting as I type this blog.

When we got to The Isle of Wight we met our friends Dave and Ruth and their new, adorable, baby Matilda. Dave and Ruth are from Cornwall but were vacationing there which was perfect. We met them when they came to stay at our B&B right after 9/11. They then came back and stayed in 2003, and Jamie stayed with them in Cornwall about four years ago.

For lunch I was very good. I had a Salmon and King Prawn Salad. It is deliciously pictured below:


We then walked along the seaside and eventually stopped for English Scones and other desserts at a local cafe. There was no way in hell I was going to pass up having English Scones in England! I believe I exercised great restraint though. Our order is in the picture below but out of all that delicious food I only ate 1/4 of one scone with butter and jam :-)


Our friends Ruth and Dave gave us box of Shortbread (still uneaten) , some Cornish Sea Salt, and a British Flag as a gift. It was so sweet of them and after a long day the flag made a great blanket for me as I slept during the drive home.


When we got home Paul (the Dad) and Nadine ( the other daughter) had prepared a very healthy and scrumptious dinner of chicken and vegetables (straight from the garden).  Did I not tell you they were amazing people? My dinner is pictured below:


I would be lying if I didn't admit some indulgences throughout the day. I have three glasses of pear cider and a glass of wine, and ended the day with a slice of homemade apple pie with double cream. The apples were picked right from the garden.


Jamie and I enjoyed every second of yesterday and are looking forward to another fun day in Bournemouth today.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: