Monday, May 24, 2010

PARTY WAS OUT OF CONTROL! NO REGRETS

Last night Jamie and I went to a party. Well...actually we went to two parties because we ended up at an "after party" next door.

My friend Mark's parties are not typical. To give you an idea of the type of person Mark is, when you get to his apartment and look for his name to buzz yourself up you will not see his name, nor will you see the word "Occupied". Instead you simply see the letters "HRH". Those who know him don't even have to guess...we know instinctively it stands for "His Royal Highness" (or maybe "Her Royal Highness"...that part I am not sure of) LOL.

Anyway, HRH was having a birthday party for Queen Victoria. There were British Flags and memorabilia all over the place, we all had to wear pins that had the Canadian and British flags on them,  and at 10pm he set off about $1000 worth of fireworks off of the roof of the building across the street. Not your average party.

The food at Mark's party is like stepping back to when you were young. I love it. There were bowls of jube jubes, chocolates, peanuts, sugar coated jelly candies, cheesees, those onion ring chips...all the old crap we used to love. The dinner is potluck, but not a salad or veggie tray at this party. There is chilli and lamb balls, and pizza, and white bread rolls, and....you get the idea. LOL.  There was some shrimp so I can't say there wasn't a healthy option.

The thing about Mark's parties though is that it is exactly this step back in time that makes it wonderful. It is a great place to be and a great place to eat...and eat I did.

I wasn't "more careful" like I said I would try to be in yesterday's blog but I don't regret it in the least. I had a great time! I still have a feeling I will be ok by Wednesday but if I am "up" weight-wise that is cool...it is one week in a long journey and I will be right back on track today.

Speaking of tracking. How does one "track" the points of a night like that? I think Weight Watchers would say "do the best you can at estimating" but I think I have a better approach.

From my perspective it doesn't matter if I ate 70 points or 700 points. The result is the same. I have to be back on track today, I have to eat my total 32 point allowance today, and I have used up all of my weekly points, exercise points earned, and exercise points I will earn until my next weigh-in.

So I calculated my "points" for the party as follows:

Points allowed for the day is 32 - 12 points eaten pre-party = 20 points remaining for day

20 points + 38 allowable weekly points remaining (I earned 8 activity points yesterday) = 58 points

58 points + 12 more activity points I will earn over next three days = 70 points.

Therefore I have decided to count the points eaten at the party as 70 points. It is as good a figure as any and it still leaves me with the belief that I can bring myself back into "check" again if I eat normal and exercise until my weigh-in Wednesday. That is, after all, the ultimate goal at the end of the week.

This is turning into another really long blog so I apologize for that but I can't end without talking about my "Kettle Bell" work out at 5pm yesterday on my friend Anthony's lawn. It was amazing! I think I held my own against Anthony and his friends and feel great about it. That work-out combined with my morning workout gave me 8 exercise points for the day. I don't think I have ever done that much before.

Clearly...with the evening that followed...I needed it.

Be healthy!

Alan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats perfect. Enjoy it and move it. No regrets and back on track the next day. Those things are going to happen and as long as you don't beat yourself up about it, you'll be fine. The exercise goes a long way to helping get over those 'bumps' in the road.