Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"I'LL TEACH YOU TO EAT A MCFLURRY!!!"

Those were the words I heard as I arrived at the gym yesterday to work out with my buddy Anthony. He was going to whip me into shape after reading my "McDonalds" confession on my blog a couple of days ago.

I thought I only had to do the "penance" of two days of vegetables and clean protein...but no...he had to whip my butt in the gym too (not literally of course...sigh)

Boy did he teach me. I think I will be sore for three days to come!

When you think about it though, exercise is really the only option for "undoing" damage. Sure getting right back on track is imperative but that just stops the damage.

Exercising can actually raise your metabolic rate causing you to burn calories faster, hopefully burning some of the junk that was eaten.

I have learned the hard way that eating more because you worked out doesn't really work. Not for weight loss anyway.

Exercising more because you screwed up, however, can and will help.

So yes I ate the McFlurry (and a Big Mac) a few days ago, yes I am eating vegetables and proteins for two days and YES I am exercising.

I think if nothing else all this work I have had to do will make me think twice about how badly I want that McFlurry next time around. Maybe I should "visualize" all this effort the next time I want to pig out several times in a week.

It is weigh-in day today and I am once again finding myself teetering at that 200 pound point. If there is a "higher being" up there please help me cross the line!

I won't be devastated if I am not though as I know why, and the motivation is high again...still...it would be real nice if it happened.

Wish me luck and be healthy!

Alan

2 comments:

Karen said...

I will be anxiously waiting to read your blog tomorrow. I may not be a 'higher being' but I will make sure that I take my toes off of the scales at your weigh-in. Remember you will have weeks that the scales do not move, and it doesn't matter how good or bad you were during the week, it is just your body's way of maintaining and re-adjusting.
My tip for the day - the weather is supposed to be nice today, so wear shorts, no socks and a light T-shirt and I am sure you will see the scales go done below the 200.

Unknown said...

You are soooooo right Karen. Once a year we get the pleasure of transitioning to "summer clothes". Thank goodness it is a nice sunny day because today is definitely the day to do it! I just hope the client I have to show a property to afterward will fogive me for showing up in shorts! She is cool though so I think all will be good :-)