Wednesday, May 12, 2010

If Sherri Shepherd Can Do It I Can too!

Who remembers last year when Sherrie Shepherd vowed that on a certain date she would walk out in public, in her swimsuit, on "The View" and then spent the next few months working toward having a body she felt comfortable enough to do it in.

Was her body perfect when she did it? Hell No! Did she make a commitment, keep it, and look great? Absolutely!

My friend Anthony has been encouraging me to lose weight because summer is coming and "it is time to take the shirts off"!

Let me tell you taking my shirt off in public has never been something anyone would particularly want to see (especially myself).

But I figure...hey...I have been working out and have decent arms and even a bit of a chest now...if I just lost that tummy I might actually be able to pull it off!

I don't think it is ever something you will be catching me doing on a regular basis (I'm going to be 50 in a couple of years for god's sake!), but I am going to take the path of Sherri Shepherd (and Kirstie Alley, except that story hasn't ended too well...but still may not have ended...I am pulling for you Kirstie!!).

On Pride Day here, which is Sunday July 4th, 2010, I am going to take my shirt off and walk the entire length of the Pride Festival along Church Street, from Carlton Street to Bloor Street. I will get a picture taken and post it, good or bad, on this blog.

I think my heart rate is rising at exponential rates as I am typing this. That should burn calories right?

People always talk about setting goals. My "goal" has been one of two things for years: It is either:

1) Get back to goal weight
or
2) Stay at goal weight

I need something different that is going to inspire me.

So I will do it and if anyone wants to come along for the walk they are more than welcome. I know I have friends who would LOVE to watch me make a fool of myself!

In the meantime I am wondering if anyone else out there has set a SPECIFIC goal?

You don't have to set one on this blog (unless you want to), but SET ONE! Maybe it won't even be about weight loss or health, but make it a positive one.

I just want to direct myself in a more positive direction and placing this challenge on myself will help me do it.

Apologies in advance to all those who might actually witness this spectacle! LOL

Be healthy!

Alan

P.S. If anyone read my blog yesterday and was wondering what I ended up doing for dinner since I was out working and hadn't planned anything, I got a crab wrap. It was a fairly thin wrap with crab (the artificial kind) with lettuce and no mayo. From a calorie perspective it was a good choice...and delicious!

3 comments:

schwevy said...

your comment about being almost 50 made me think of molly shannon 'FIFTY- FIFTY years old' high kick!

funny thing is when she did this sketch the other night with betty white, she was 46 and somehow it was not quite as funny as when she was 30!

you can carry off anything with the right attitude.

dont forget the sun screen!

Karen said...

First thing first, yes I was wondering about your dinner, and it was a healthy choice. Hope the real estate showings went well.

Goals - yes I had one and it was to lose 30lbs (yes I know still plenty to go) before my Son's wedding last Nov. I did set what I thought was a realistic time frame to do it and keep it off. Took 8 months and yes I have kept it off for a year now.

New Goal - just found out that I am going to be a Grandma for the first time, so this one is to lose another 20lbs (then I will be at a healthy weight)before that happens. Reading your blog is inspiring me to try to eat healthier as well.

As for joining you topless on Pride Day - I really think the world needs a good laugh, but not at my expense.

Hope both you and Jamie are feeling better.

Unknown said...

Hey Schwevy! I was disappointed I missed Betty White on SNL but now I must find it on youtube and watch it!

Karen: Taking 30 pounds off is amazing in itself but keeping it off for a year...that is the true accomplishment. I am with you every step of the way (that is if you want me to be) for the next 20 pounds. I know you can do it! We all can if it is what we truly want.

Alan