Sunday, May 30, 2010

Enough is Enough Is Enough!

The weekend was a step back in time in so many ways. I went to our high school reunion Friday night, and as much as I had little desire to "remember" the high school years, it was so nice to see my old friends and teachers again. Most of them I hadn't seen in over 30 years. How did that happen?

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I was secretly hoping that some of the "good looking" ones in highschool now looked like they had been hit by a truck, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Pretty much everyone I saw looked damn fine!

Highlights were seeing my good friends Sue L'ortye, her husband Ivan, John Bynum, and Lynn Phelan, but seeing people like Judith Mosel (who looked fabulous) and John Duncan after all these years was a real treat. I really hope we all stay in touch.

There was one guy I was hoping to see but I didn't. He was one of the bullies in High School and I thought that if I saw him I would tell him what I thought of him, but he wasn't there. I wasn't disappointed though because apparently he couldn't make it because he is in prison! LOLLOL I LOVE IT!!!

I wish I could say after my "Binge Friday" things got better food-wise but they really didn't. Between the Mandarin Restaurant, Pulled Pork sandwiches, copious amounts of beer and a great birthday party last night it has pretty much been a few days of being WAY off plan.

Under normal circumstances I would be a little concerned and put it down to an unusual weekend that is now over.

My concern, however, is not this week it is next week.

You see, once a year we have a huge Martini Party with about 100 people. I have always considered it "my day" and I always will. There is nothing that will ever stop me from having that one day a year.

That "one day" is next Saturday.

The problem is that the "one day" is never one day. This year we have a new bartender and although he has bar tended before he has never made the drinks from the specific Martini Menu we have so he is coming over for a "martini tasting night" next Thursday (which is also my birthday) to make sure he gets the mixes right (we are talking girlie martini's here...like chocolate Martini's etc.).

Friday night friends will come in from out of town and we will all go out for dinner, Saturday is the party, and Sunday is the day where I do everything I can to throw out leftovers before I eat them.

The end result is I am heading into a tough week after a tough week and that is a little scary.

My step back in time was not just to the 70s/80s this weekend, It was a step back to old eating habits.

Somebody is clearly trying to tell me something though because ever since I woke up this morning that 1979 Barbra Streisand/Donna Summers song "No More Tears" has been running through my head with the lines "Enough is Enough is Enough....if you've had your fill, get the check, pay the bill..you can do it"!

So what is my plan? It is to STOP the poor decision making right now. Today is a day of healthy eating, as is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I will recognize the challenges for Thursday Friday, and Sunday and devise a plan to get through them. My "one day" next week, which is Saturday, however, is still going to be "My Day". No one is taking that one away :-)

Be healthy!

Alan

5 comments:

Kim Knight said...

You can do it Alan! Shame to be missing the Martini party :( We'll skype and have a martini too!! Kim xxxx

Unknown said...

Thanks Kimme! We will be raising a glass to you and your family over in England for sure!

Karen said...

Sounds like you have had an interesting few days. The main thing is that you will get back on track as you have worked so hard to get to this point, and you do not want to go back. Keep moving forward, and I will have a beer or two for you on your birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hey Alan,
You know you can get through these challenges. The trick I have used at time is to give yourself permission to stay the same or gain, you don't have to live every week with a goal of losing. As I said before about not stopping my life because I have to weigh in. Well you are very aware that your life is not stopping so that you can focus on weight loss, you have to fit it in, and maybe that means adjusting your goal for a week or two from losing to maintaining, or yes, it is possible to allow yourself to gain with the mindset that this is temporary and you will get back on track right away. For me, its Christmas time, but you have a much more exciting life than I do!!!!!

WW is a lifestyle and if it becomes too restrictive you won't stay with it. You wouldn't berate somebody else for letting loose, why not cut yourself some of that slack?

Unknown said...

I have been getting quite a few comments over the past few days that are really helpful on both this blog and by email/text and you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I agree with the last post. Sometimes you have to temporarily "reset" your expectations. The key word I think though is "temporarily".