Sunday, May 16, 2010

Everyday

Do you cry? I do. I don't cry when real tragedy strikes...I am the one who holds it together. I am "the rock"...but put a stupid commercial on TV designed to melt your heart and the tear ducts go to town. It wasn't always that way...I went for about 7 years without being able to shed a tear. My friend Tim, who I consider my brother, is one of the few people who know that story...maybe someday it will be something to share.

A long time ago when I watched the movie "The Sixth Sense", there was a scene where the kid in the movie, who could see ghosts, told his mom that his dead Grandmother had told him to tell her she was proud of her "everyday". Let me tell you that at that moment in time Niagara Falls broke out in my eyes. If you have watched the movie you will know why I broke down like a sobbing kid.

Last night I was watching "GLEE" (god I'm gay! LOL) which almost always makes me cry,and I said to Jamie, in the midst of my tears: "Do you regret being with me"? It was a "set-up" question. The type of question that my University Drama teacher, Liz Inman, would have called "fishing for compliments", but all I got was hysterical laughter and the response "everyday". Apparently he had been waiting to feed me that response ever since the movie came out! It was all in good humour and we laughed a lot through our already flowing tears.

Isn't "everyday" what makes it hard though? It's so easy to be good for "one day", or for "one week".

In my last blog I admitted going out for dinner and having no regrets. I had meatloaf and mashed potatoes and 3 beers. It was my "treat" night, and as long as I recognized that all was good.

It made sense at the time, but then yesterday I had an Egg Salad Sandwich, a Big Mac and a Rolo "mint" McFlurry.

This is the danger point.

This is the point at which one day, has become two days, and it is so easy for two days to become "everyday".

I said when I started this blog I would confess every trip to Burger King, McDonalds etc. so I am remaining true to my word.

Hopefully this will help me stop.

Maybe someday "everyday" will be "healthy day".

Be healthy!

Alan

4 comments:

Karen said...

First I want to say sorry for no comments yesterday - I was trying to come up with some smart answer to Jamie's 'Blob' comment, but since I don't know Jamie I certainly didn't want to offend him.

Okay - time to get back to yesterday. Did you know that latest names of the new McDonald's characters? Pig-boy, Clogged Art, Heart Dis Ease, and Luke Skyhigh Blood Pressure. It is said that they are going to keep Gimmace because 'he describes what people do while sitting on the john after eating the food', I know - too much info, but right in keeping with your Friday blog. So........ the next time you pass a McDonalds, picture the new characters waving at you as you KEEP driving by and NOT stopping in. I know easier said then done - but keep your eye on the prize, which is getting back to and staying a healthier and slimmer Alan, which is your GOAL and I know you can do it.
One 'treat' day a week is okay, mine is Sat. We go to the same place every week and split 12 wings, fries and gravy (on the side), burger and a pitcher of beer. I see the McDonalds characters laughing at me while I eat too, but I get back on track Sundays.

And once again - Jamie's 'everyday' comment, typical man, we can't live with them, and we most certainly not want to picture our lives without them.

Unknown said...

He Karen. Thanks for the words of support and for the "visual images". They will help a lot! Don't worry abut offending Jamie...I do it all the time! LOL

Anthonydipasquale.com said...

Hey man- Mc-D's? hey what's done is done- for penance today and tomorrow, you have to eat vegetables every meal, and one clean protein.

Fruits before meals are ok, and NO STARCHES. You are in diet purgatory. 2 days of that, and you are free, Mister.

Unknown said...

OK Mr Muscle man. I like you penance. Two days of vegetables and clean protein it is!

Alan