Friday, December 31, 2010

The Last Day - The New Plan

This is it.

It is that last day.

It his the last day I will allow myself to think like the old "Alan".

I am not saying I will be perfect. I tried that before...it did not work so good.

I will, however, be healthy. If I am eating healthy AT LEAST 90% of the time I think I can consider myself healthy.

I want to eat healthy 100% of the time, however, as long as I possibly can in 2011.

Healthy needs to become a habit and habits only happen with consistency..

People keep saying that if you stay away from the "bad" foods you like long enough your tastes will change and the next time you try what you used to like you won't like it anymore.

Personally...it has never been my reality.

I am going to give these people the benefit of the doubt and assume that I just haven't stayed away from the "bad" foods I like for long enough.

So my major challenge will start tomorrow.

I know I shouldn't say "starting tomorrow" but I am going to. There is something magical about starting with a new determination on January 1st.

So....starting tomorrow I am going to eat 100% healthy for as long as I can possibly hold out...after that I am going to eat AT LEAST 90% healthy for the remainder if the year.

Note I did not say that I was going to eat "low fat". I will eat naturally low fat foods but I am not going to eat processed low fat foods. It will be the full fat options for me.

For those of you on Weight Watchers, rest assured, I have a plan. I believe that I can be 100% "on plan" with Weight Watchers and eat only natural and full fat foods ( I am talking whole milk, butter, etc.).

My plan is as follows.

1) I am switching to Weight Watchers "Simply Filling" technique where you can eat any Power Foods (the list is extensive) until you are satisfied (an important word) without counting points. Outside of this group of foods I have 49 extra points available to me per week.
2) I will exercise ten hours a week (I often do that anyway) which gives me an additional 50 points I can eat. So I have 99 points a week in total to spend outside my group of Power Foods (believe me...with Wine costing about 21 points for a bottle this can still go fast).
3) I created my own Power Foods List, printed it off, and will put it on the fridge today.

My list differs from Weight Watcher's in the following way:

Whenever their "Power Food" list states a low fat version of a food, I entered the full fat version I would eat on MY list in blue WITH its associated point value.

Whenever I eat a "blue" food from the list I have to count the points toward the 99 point weekly allowance. So it is full fat but it is not a free ride to full fat.

It sounds perfect to me. I do my plan my way, which is in-line with my beliefs as a budding Holistic Nutritionist, but am simultaneously remaining 100% within the rules of Weight Watchers guidelines.

I am actually excited to see if it works.

I don't expect to see any results by this Wednesdays weigh-in, but the following Wednesday will be the first indicator.

Wish me luck and be healthy!

Alan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I am sticking with the OLD PROGRAM. It has worked this far and continues to work - I even lost over the 2 weeks Christmas holidays. Only .2 and .4 but I have never done this before.
And why am I doing this journey - because I am WORTH IT. Hint as to who I am !

Anonymous said...

And I am sticking with the OLD program. It has worked this long and continues to. I even lost weight over the 2 weeks' Christmas holidays. Only .2 and .4 but it is still a loss. Never done that before. Why am I doing it "because I am so worth it".
Now you know who is sending this!

Unknown said...

Well...no arguments from me. It has clearly worked for you and if it keeps working I say go for it!

To be honest though, the only real difference I see (besides being able to eat free fruits and vegetables) is that it forces you to make healthier choices by factoring in carbohydrates and proteins. It kinda is the same program to me.

Happy New Year to You!

Anonymous said...

I was actually at a mtng. this a.m. and there were 3 people who were complaining that they did not like the program at all. I don't know why they don't go back to the old program rather than being miserable. People are like sheep -just because everyone is doing something does not mean you have to do it. One woman was saying that she was feeling deprived and did not like it - she was almost in tears. This is not what WW is all about and I really felt for her. I could have said something but it is not my place as I am not a leader. However having worked for them years ago, I know full well the stress it puts on some people.
In any case, I am a firm believer if something works for someone keep on doing it. Practice makes perfect.
Happy New year to you too.
From the Worth it Girl!

Unknown said...

Its interesting to heat different perspectives. Another WW member emailed me to say she was concerned about it being a license to eat. I personally love the changes they have made but I also that everyone is different. What works for one may not work for another.

t looks like you and I both have exiting New Year's plans.

I am about to clean my bathroom. If nothing else I want to welcome the New Year in with a clean home :-) LOL

Unknown said...

Its interesting to heat different perspectives. Another WW member emailed me to say she was concerned about it being a license to eat. I personally love the changes they have made but I also that everyone is different. What works for one may not work for another.

t looks like you and I both have exiting New Year's plans.

I am about to clean my bathroom. If nothing else I want to welcome the New Year in with a clean home :-) LOL

Anonymous said...

At least you have plans! Too funny. I am not a big fan of New Year's Eve so staying home is just fine with me.

I just finished watching the movie about the Stolpas - it was actually pretty interesting.

As for the license to eat, the minute you give some people the right to eat fruit all day any time, to me is a license to eat.

If the fruit does not satisfy you then on we go to the next food group. I know what I am like and that is what will happen to me. So, I am sticking to the old program. I like it.

I was watching Anderson Cooper - Love that guy, but if they would just replace Kathy Griffin it would be a better show. She is so rude sometimes. She keeps trying to "out" Anderson - but it is no one's business what he does in his personal life. He is such a classy man, I just love watching him. Gee, what exciting TV watching - we should have rented a movie.
Anyways, Happy New Year.