Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's A New Day

If you read my Facebook page yesterday you already know that I am not in Barcelona heading to the airport to board a ship right now as I was scheduled to be.

We knew there was a risk of one or both our flights being cancelled as we were connecting through JFK airport in New York and they had been hit with a major snow storm.

When we got up yesterday morning I looked online and saw that the first Delta flight from Toronto to New York had been cancelled, but our flight, which was scheduled for five hours later was still set to depart on time.

We had been so sure the flight was going to be cancelled we hadn't even got our luggage out, let alone packed. So...the frantic race to get ready began.

We spent two hours racing around the house trying not to bump into each other while we packed. We then jumped into the airport limo and got to the airport exactly three hours before our flight. We checked in with Delta, checked our luggage, went through security, and were just starting to feel relaxed when we looked up at the departures board. Our flight status had been changed to "cancelled".

Three hours later, after waiting for what seemed like forever to get our checked luggage back, we were sitting at home in our living room. We weren't really disappointed...we were just exhausted.

We had a nap (Jame is quite sick so he felt worse than me), and then got up, lay back on the couch, watched a couple of movies while I (yes...singular) ate a box of chocolates (the last one left in the house post Christmas).

It wasn't the wisest move, obviously, but to be honest, I didn't care. I wanted comfort food, I wanted the chocolates to be gone by this morning, and I knew that I no longer had to worry about gaining weight onboard a ship for two weeks. So I ate it. Yes...I made excuses to eat it...but it is done.

We actually felt good last night. After all the drama of the three attempts to go on this cruise, being safe and sound at home felt real good.

This morning...if I am being honest, I don't feel as good. I feel disappointed, I also feel like my resistance is down, and I have a scratchy throat. I think the low resistance level makes me a prime candidate to catch whatever Jamie has. I will do my best to fight it off.

I know, in my heart, that not going on this cruise is a good thing. I know the universe was fighting us every step of the way...it was not meant to be.

It was nonetheless a  little sad to see that our second flight from New York to Barcelona did indeed take off. If we had only made it to New York...sigh.

I am going to stay positive though and look at this as an opportunity. I will be home for New Years now and I can start 2011 properly, healthily (is that a word?) and in total control  of what goes in my mouth.

Today is a new day. It is the first day of training for 2011. The healthiest year of my life.

The training starts right now.

I feel better already.

Be healthy everyone!

Alan

3 comments:

Quade said...

I suppose trying to coax you onto a plane to Khartoum to come to my New Year's Eve party would be a lost cause? :-)

Unknown said...

LOL...yeah don't think that one will be happening...Not for this New Years anyway...but I am still up for going :-)

Quade said...

Well that gives me hope!