Friday, December 10, 2010

There Are Certain Things Nobody Should Have To Endure

I have re-written this blog ten times and I haven't managed to get to the second sentence yet. I have been thinking about writing it for quite a while.

It is a hard one to write and I am not sure how to start it.

I have been thinking lately about how truly lucky I am. My day to day stresses consist of things like the big struggle with whether or not to eat the dessert on the party tray.

OK...its not always that easy...sometimes it is hard...but in the scope of things, there are people in this world...people we know...who have no choice but to live through a much harder life.

When my sister passed away many years ago I remember that I was able to hang on to two positive thoughts:

1) The suffering was over (she had Ovarian Cancer)
2) I was so glad my parents passed first so that they did not have to live through the loss of one of their children. No parent should.

I know someone who has to go through each holiday season without her child. Her daughter passed away a couple of weeks before Christmas. It breaks my heart to think of someone having to live without their child. To have to cope with it every year while everyone is out celebrating and partying...I can't even begin to imagine. 

My hearts go out to the Flegg family too. They lost their daughter/sister in 1978 but I am sure the pain never really goes away.

This lady who lost her daughter a couple of weeks before Christmas inspires me. She makes me see that life has to go on. She has not given up on life. She attends WW and makes me smile every time I see her. In spite of everything she has been through she is such a positive energy.  She has such a wonderful laugh and smile. She is someone I wish I knew better.

I struggle with the dessert on the party tray. She lives with loss AND struggles with dessert on the party tray. 

It makes me realize how minuscule my day to day worries are.

The next time I am tempted to eat that dessert I am going to think of this lady and say to myself "get over yourself Alan". If this is your tough decision of the day, surely you can cope with that and make the right one.

Our struggles are a matter of perspective. Mine are quite small.

I don't know if my friend will read this but if she does, I hope she knows that she has people out there who love her and are there for her. I will especially be thinking of her on the 14th. Her strength to continue the drive to become a healthier person, and do it with a smile on her face, is amazing to me. She is my living hero.

Much love, and be healthy.

Alan





3 comments:

Karen said...

And you may wonder why we send our love and support your way. It is because your thoughts and support are always with others. I too will take time on the 14th. to remember your Friend (plus the many others that do not have their loved ones with them), and reflect on just how fortunate I am. We all must remember (especially at this time of year) just how lucky we are to have a roof over our heads, food in our cupboards and the love and support of our families and friends.

Take care my friend.

Anonymous said...

You are so empathetic - its no wonder that SO many people truly love you. You have suffered - don't pretend that eating dessert (Or not) is what really bothers you! Kisses

Unknown said...

You are both so wonderful to say such nice things.

I have indeed suffered, but I can say that as primarily "past tense". I have mostly happy memories now. I think when something as significant as losing one of your own children occurs, you can never really get "past" it. You just learn to live with it as best you can.

I have not experienced anything like that and I feel for those who do.

Alan