Saturday, February 19, 2011

In The Heart Of Every Man...There's A Need To Question Who We Are...And What We Believe...

The words in the title of my blog are the first words of a song that have a lot of meaning for me. I think the word "man" is meant to be received in a "mankind" kind of way.

They are the first words of a song called "God Loves You" sung impeccably by Juno Award winner Deborah Klassen.

The song is about God...and it is a heartfelt song that is beautifully sung by a person who believes strongly in God's love for people.

Deborah has lead a very difficult life...a life that I am sure has caused her to question who she is and, at times, what she believes. Her life story can be read in the link below:

CLICK HERE FOR DEBORAH KLASSEN'S STORY

I am not suggesting we all go out there and find God. I have not found God and hope that no one pressures me to.

I am suggesting that we all search within ourselves for what we believe, and what we believe we are capable of, and go after it with the same conviction as Deborah.

The huge...and I mean HUGE...caveat is that we do not judge others in the process. It is what we believe for ourselves that matters.

It is important to keep in mind that embracing what others believe is paramount to living in harmony.

The song means a lot to me for two reasons:

1) The words in the title of this blog.

Unless we question who we are and what we believe we cannot hope to become what we believe. I will always question...and I will always strive to become what I believe I can be.

2) The background to my family's connection with this song and this incredible lady.

This is a bit of a long story, but one that I really hope is worth reading.

It began a few weeks prior to August 17th, 1996. My mother was terminally ill with Cancer and was nearing the end. She had never been particularly religious (as kids it was not uncommon for her to drop us off at church and pick us up afterward) but as she neared the end, she found peace when she listened to this song. She asked for it to be played a few times so she could hear it.

After her passing on August 17th, 1996, some members of the family wanted it played at her funeral. While no one objected to the song itself, we only had it available on CD and some felt playing a CD at a funeral was inappropriate.

So my sister Sondra tried to find the sheet music for the song in the hopes that we could find someone to sing it live at the funeral. It wouldn't be the "Deborah" version my Mom loved, but at least the words and the melody would be present.

She phoned the Producers of the album and after much investigation actually ended up speaking to Deborah Klassen herself. After hearing our family situation, Deborah, who lived hours away from us said "Why don't I just come and sing it at the funeral?".

She did just that. It was beautiful.

Her kindness touched us all...and even today...almost 15 years later, it brings me to tears to think of what she did for us.

She didn't have to do it. She did it because she believed in what she was doing with everything in her being. I believe it gave her as much pleasure as it gave us. It was truly healing.

She didn't push her beliefs on us when she was there...she was just who she was...without apology.

I want to be like Deborah. Not in a religious way but in a "strength of conviction" way.

I want to believe in myself so strongly that I know and stand by my beliefs with strength and fortitude.

I want to be able to express my opinion but I also want to be ever so careful not to shove it down people's throats.

I can be intolerant. When people speak of God, I tend to clam up and freeze. I believe religious conflict and and attempts to force religion upon people have caused far too many deaths...so, at times, I judge religious people.

I do not think religion itself is bad. It can be healing for many and I believe faith based miracles are possible. It is what one may choose to do with their beliefs that can be damaging. What a non-relgious person chooses to do with their lack of belief can also be damaging. The other side of the equation is too often ignored.

As I age, I begin to realize that my intolerance is no better than that of a religious fanatic's. I need to just accept people for what they are and not interfere or judge their lives. I also need to be more confident in my belief in a "universal energy" rather than a specific God. We are all entitled to believe what we choose to believe without judgement from others.

I never want to stop questioning. I have been wrong so many times it would be outright foolish to decide I am unquestionably right about anything. I know, however, that if I had her strength of conviction I would be a lot further along down my road to nutrition and health.

So here is to Deborah and her strength. I only ever met her that one day, and I doubt I will ever take the same road she has taken (I refuse to say I will never take that road because that would mean that I am blinding myself to possibilities), but she has taken the road that is right for her...and that road proved to be a comfort to my mother, and a blessing to my family, when we needed it. For that I will be forever grateful.

What road are you on? Search your heart and question yourself. Do you believe in the path you are on? If so...then stick to your path...if not...there is no better day than today to begin a new journey.

Never stop questioning who you are and what you believe...and of course...be healthy!

Alan






No comments: