Monday, September 6, 2010

Planning

I am not sure yet whether or not the move away from processed foods will really take that much more work or if it will just mean a more effective allocation of time. After all, it does take time to go and get take out food or go to a restaurant. Jamie and I sometimes spend so much time thinking about what to make for dinner we could have made it five times over.

I mentioned a couple of days ago that this change to "non-processed food only" was going to take some planning and I think it is turning into a "planning" weekend.

First there is the long term plan and then there is the  "What the hell am I going to cook tonight?!" plan.

The short term plan turned out good. I did have to go shopping at an organic store but the result was that I  made a delicious "Digestive Kichadi".  I had learned in my Ayurveda course at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition about the benefits of Kichadi for digestion and then when I tool the Holistic Food preparation course, the workbook had a recipe for Kichadi  so I decided to make it. It was healthy, organic, and great! We had it with an organic salad.


The ingredients included celery, zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots, pigeon peas, a mixture of wild rice and brown rice, and Kombu (which is a form of seaweed full of minerals). Delicious.

I would love to say that made me an angel but I did have wine...too much wine...while watching "Drop Dead Diva" episodes with Jamie. Such a great show...and too much wine.

When you work in the Real Estate profession the only weekends you really get free are long weekends because clients are busy doing their own thing on long weekends .

I have been using my free time this weekend to plan.

Because we have a Bed and Breakfast we applied for the ability to buy organic food wholesale, and got word while we were on vacation that we have been approved to join the Ontario Natural Food Co-operative. This means we can, indeed, buy organic food at wholesale prices. If anyone else in Ontario wants to take advantage of this let me know and if it works out I can place orders for you.

So the day was spent going through the catalogue of Organic and "Natural" ( I have never understood what "natural" means so I try to buy organic) food items figuring out what to order and planning, planning, planning.

The cost is still above retail for normal food I think but a lot less than organic retail prices so I consider myself lucky. Still lots more work to do before I place my first order though.

Tomorrow I am making "Red Lentil Quinoa Stew". Lets hope it turns out!

One of the episodes of "Drop Dead Diva" that we watched tonight dealt with a woman who was dying (well....it turned out she really wasn't but forget that part) who wanted to fight for her right to be frozen before the disease took full effect. She essentially wanted to have her heart stopped BEFORE the terminal illness took hold so that she might have the chance of being brought back later in life when a cure for her disease was found. Would you want to do this? I had never contemplated it before but I think I would if I could. The options for life are endless.

Wait...that's a lie. I would if I only had to think about me. It would be so selfish to leave Jamie alone based on the hope that I might be able to come back someday. When I consider that the day I return would likely be when he is no longer here I don't think I would want to be frozen. When it comes right down to it I couldn't give up losing even a day with the person I love...why come back when your love is no longer here?

There we have it. I have my answer.

Be healthy!

Alan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate the cold so being frozen is not an option!

CDP said...

I just have to laugh at your blog today - DROP DEAD DIVA IS NOT REAL - IT'S JUST A TV SHOW!
It's like the time when Dommie was 13 and he wanted me to buy him Calvin Klein underpants - Joni said to him "Dommie - the willie does not come with the pants!!" LOL

cdp said...

PS - Dom is gonna hate me for that!!!

Unknown said...

Drop Dead Diva is not real? Your full of it CDP! The next thing you know you will be telling me Santa Clause was made up. I happen to KNOW he exists because I saw Mama kissing Santa Clause, and my Grandma got run over by a Reindeer, coming home from our place Christmas Eve.. Oh you may think there's no such thing as "DIVA", but as for me and Jamie, we believe :-)

Alan

P.S. If I were Dom I would kill you LOL