Thursday, September 16, 2010

OK I'M AN IDIOT! WHY, OH WHY, OH WHY?!

Alright, I have no choice but to take back everything I said in yesterday's blog about my partner and his bag of Chocolate Digestive Cookies. Well...almost everything. I still do want him to be healthy so he lives a long life.

I don't have much right to judge though, as I had another "crash and burn" day yesterday.

I just have to keep telling myself I am learning, and I am changing, just very, very, slowly.

The plan yesterday was a good one...if I had followed it through.

First part of the plan...get a good nights sleep.

I didn't go to the gym and slept 9 hours. Well done!

Second part of plan. Drive to Weight Watcher's in Burlington at lunch time (it is about a 40 minute drive with no traffic) even though the meeting isn't until 6pm.

Why?

A) I won't have any traffic.
B) I can do the studying I needed to do separated from everything.
C) I can work out at the gym in Burlington, just before I go to Weight Watchers and weigh-in. When I do that I am usually down two pounds just because I have just worked out. Mostly water loss I think.

Perfect plan!

What happened?

A) Had no breakfast (always the first mistake)
B) Drove to Burlington at lunch time as scheduled.
C) As I approached Burlington it occurred to me that if I stopped in at Weight Watchers and weighed-in right away I would probably be slightly down. That way I could go for lunch and skip the gym leaving more time to study. I was hungry ( remember...no breakfast) and my body needed a break anyway right?
D) Weighed-in at Weight Watchers. Was down .8 pounds (it would have been 2.8 if I had weighed in in the evening after working out)
E) Went to Burlington Mall for lunch. Went to A&W and had two Mama Burgers, and then had a large DQ Pecan Pie Blizzard (If you count points it works out to 51 points).
F) Shopped the rest of the afternoon, had a coffee and went to the meeting. Did absolutely no studying.

The REAL question I am asking myself now is WHY? Not really "Why?" from a weight loss perspective. In reality I am allowed 31 points a day so 51 isn't a total disaster. The "Why?" is from a health perspective.

Why would I pay the money to eat Organic Whole Foods all week and then destroy the internal body by eating crap? It makes no sense. I really need to smarten up...and please don't tell me we all need to splurge now and then...you may have noticed I don't have a problem with that. Splurging should have value...like a night out with friends...not a self-indulgent quickie in a fast food restaurant.

So what can I do? Refuse to beat myself up for one...but not pass it off as nothing either. This is a significant and repetitive problem of mine so it needs to be faced and not trivialized.

Today begins a new Weight Watchers week and I begin anew. I already know I will not be perfect. We are having a friend over for dinner tonight (it is going to be vegetarian and very healthy but there will likely be wine and perhaps some home made ice cream so there will still be calories). Saturday we have a wedding to attend. It is a late morning wedding with a lunch reception. I think that will be more manageable than an evening wedding.

To be honest I am really not worried about either of those events. Tonight the worst will be the ice cream and it will be made with fresh whole ingredients, and a bottle of wine is ten points on Weight Watchers Plan. Totally manageable.

I really think the wedding will be fine too. It is a preset meal and the only unhealthy thing on the menu is a "Chocolate Decadence" dessert. I will have that. That is the type of thing I believe is a "splurge with value". It isn't an evening thing so there won't be drinking all night.

So, to summarize,  I picked on Jamie for eating a bag of cookies and then pigged out myself. Go figure.

As a friend from Scotland said in a "comment" added to yesterday's blog: "Changing oneself is hard".

It is indeed, but it is thoroughly and totally possible.

Five years ago A&W and Dairy Queen type days would have occurred several times a week for me. Now it freaks me out a bit if it happens only once in a while. That only proves that I can change, and if I can change, anyone can change. You just have to want to enough.

I'm in a good mood now :-)

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: