Saturday, September 11, 2010

Love The Skin Your In

Over the last couple of days a few things have happened that have made me reflect on the vanity side of this journey.

I was out with a client/friend a few days ago and we were talking about all the young people you see in bars and recalling how we used to laugh at the "old trolls" when we were young. Somehow things are a bit different when you find yourself becoming an "old troll". In my world you are old at thirty so 47 is ancient!

Last night I saw my friend Wendy in Hamilton and I was telling her that one reaches a point in their life where they have to find acceptance. They have to "accept" that no matter what changes they make in their life or what they do, they are never going to be twenty again. I know I may FEEL twenty at times, in fact I feel two at times, but I will NEVER look twenty again. No amount of dieting or healthy eating will make that phenomenon occur.

There comes a certain peace with the acceptance of that knowledge though. When you know you will never look twenty it somehow takes the pressure off, and you can finally be at peace with who you are and love the skin you are in.

My buddy Alf sent me a similar message from another perspective last night. He was responding to my blog suggesting that one should not throw their clothes away and he said: "We have to like the skin we are in and then changing that becomes a possibility...". Isn't that the truth? 

The message is, I think, that we have to love who we are, right now, in this moment. 

Once we love who we are, we can bring about positive change for the RIGHT reasons.

Hey I am not saying I am not vein. This whole weight loss journey began out of pure vanity. I wanted to look good. I still want to look good. I see the other benefits that go with it but looking the best I can is definitely still an important goal.

Realizing that the best I can look will not, and can never be, the look of a twenty something person is a good thing. It takes the pressure off.

Now for a change in topic.

On the food front I was out of the city yesterday and consequently ate out for dinner. I had pasta with pesto sauce. Not an amazing choice but an ok one I think. I wanted that Fettucini Alfredo but eventually I smartened up. 

Of course it would be remiss not to ask everyone to remember the victims of 9/11/2001 today, but I especially want to send my best wishes out to the family of my friend and co-worker back in high school days, Mike Kuhn, who was killed in a tragic accident outside his home in Parry Sound on 9/11/2002. Mike and I lost touch after the high school years, and that is sad because he truly was a great guy. 

Be healthy,

Alan

No comments: