Thursday, March 31, 2011

What An Emotional Meeting! Support Is Everything

Yesterday, was perhaps, one of the most emotional meetings I have attended.

Half the people there were crying...yes...including me.

It's all Crystal and Pam's fault.

The meeting started out like a normal one and people were celebrating their successes on the scale. All of the sudden Crystal is waving her hand like crazy....and she says...I am so excited I can't hold it in!

To step back a bit, Crystal has struggled for a long time. I believe she said the latest journey at WW has been over ten years. She keeps trying, but taking the weight off has been hard. Yesterday she reached the point where she had lost 10% of her weight (an important percentage of weight loss from a health perspective) and she had managed to lose 25 pounds!

When you have been working at it for SO long, to reach a goal can sometimes be overwhelming. It was certainly overwhelming for Crystal. She brought her son to take pictures of her getting her award for losing 10% as well as her award for losing 25 pounds. She litteraly ran up to the front of the class and talked about how excited she was and all the exercise she has been doing. I don't know if I can say that I have ever seen anyone more sincerely excited about their success. She literally brought us to tears.

For the first time ever, I witnessed someone getting a standing ovation at Weight Watchers. Good on you!

It just goes to show you, it is not always about the reaching the final goal or even the total amount you have lost. You don't need to lose 50 pounds, 100 pounds, or even 25 pounds for that matter, to be successful. You just need to have reached a milestone toward your ultimate goal. Crystal did that yesterday...and I am sure she is going to get herself to what ever ultimate goal she sets for herself...one step at a time.

Right up after Crystal was Pamela who's name you might recognize from her comment postings on this blog (either directly on the Blog or on the "Facebook" version of it).

Pamela is one of the most determined members there. She has a goal..and she is going to reach it. She sure proved it last night as she celebrated losing over 75 pounds!!! Unbelievable.

If you need inspiration...just look to Pamela. She says she succeeds by constantly saying to herself: "Im worth it". Clearly she is. Congratulations!

I am not sure if Cindy (member Cindy not leader Cindy) reads this blog...but I don't care how much she says she hasn't...she has lost weight...you look fabulous Cindy!

If nothing else yesterday's meeting reinforced how important it is to have a support group. Going it alone is just too hard...and in my case...impossible. I know I would fail if I tried to do it alone.

So I must thank my WW friends and everyone reading this blog. You are my support group.

What an incredible group of people you are.

Be healthy!

Alan

2 comments:

Tania said...

How wonderful! That is where the magic happens ~ and it's our members that make it happen.

Sniff, don't know these ladies ~ but my heart swells with happiness for them.

Thankyou for sharing Alan.

Unknown said...

What a night...truly inspirational. Now all I have to do is turn that inspiration into action!