Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Who Am I Anyway?

Do you ever ask yourself that question?

I spend so much time trying to be the person I want myself to be that I sometimes forget who I am.

It reminds me of a song from the musical A Chorus Line: "Who am I anyway...am I my resume? That is a picture of a person I don't know".

It really is something interesting to ponder. I think, at 47 years old, I am only just beginning to find out who I am.

Am I changing?

Perhaps...perhaps not.

Perhaps I am trying too hard to become the picture of health that is not me. Perhaps though, I am trying to find the real me, and cast off all the psychological hang-ups that drive me to consume vast quantities of unhealthy food.

So the question remains...who am I anyway?

I do not know the answer to that question. I only know that from a health perspective I like the way a healthier person feels so much better. I also like the confidence that comes with being a thinner, healthier person.

I hope that "me" is not the insecure guy constantly putting food in his mouth and trying to please everyone and make them laugh.

I hope that there is more to me than that.

I feel there is...I like myself nowadays. I don't know if that sounds conceited but I don't really care.

I am worth the journey. Are you?

Gee..I guess my confidence in life has grown.

Be healthy! I was yesterday :-)

Alan 

6 comments:

Pamela said...

"I am worth it" has been my motto since I walked in the doors of Weight Watchers.

Anonymous said...

We are always worth it, it just isn't always easy to remember that.
I'm glad to see that you're aiming for more realistic right now rather than huge changes. It makes it much more liveable, in my mind anyway. I am plodding toward my mini-goal right now. Weighed in this morning as I can't make it tonight and was pleased to be down, just a little, but down is down and I'll take it.
M. WW.

Unknown said...

yes we are worth it indeed. I just have to remember what ISN'T worth it.

Yes...I am simply trying to be "real" right now. I know I am down but am not sure if I will make it to the meeting tonight either.

Its a combination of a lot of work to do, having to sit through traffic (it is always worse when it rains) and the rumour I heard that Cindy won't be there today (not from an official source though). The good news is that I am definitely on track though.

Unknown said...

oh...and congrats on being down! Down is indeed down...and that is a good thing :-)

Quade said...

God, so I'm not alone then, trying to figure out myself even in my forties! That's both comforting and, er, not :-)

I'm touched by your honesty about how you try to please people. I want you to know that I like you even when you're not trying to please me. I like you grumpy. I like you drunk and rambling. I like you too tired to bother trying to be nice. I'll like you when you say, 'this is what I need from you!' and look expectantly at me.

Unknown said...

Have I ever told you I love you? I miss you too!