Saturday, March 26, 2011

I Want It....But Do I Really Need It?

I need to remember to ask myself that question a lot more.

Yesterday Jamie got an IPAD 2. He had been anticipating it for months. He really wanted it and was determined to get it the first day it came on the market.

The thing is the IPAD2 really makes sense for Jamie. There is a need.

For instance, he will sometimes have guests at our B&B who say they want breakfast at 8 and don't show up at the table until 9:30. He gets stuck in the kitchen waiting, but with the iPad 2 he can use the computer easily while he waits. He can also check things out for guests online easily.

It makes sense.

I have an opportunity to have an IPad 2 as well. He was able to get four of them so we will resell some (hopefully at a profit) and if I wish I can keep one.

I want it. It is quite cool. I am actually typing today's blog on one.

The question is. Do I need it?

If I am being honest with myself there is a big difference between WANT and NEED. I don't really know what I would use it for. I have my computer at home, I have an iPhone, and I have a laptop for business while traveling and to use if I need to access a computer at a client site.

To make it even more unnecessary for me, the real estate state system I work on wont actually run on an IPAD. It is PC based and I don't think you can run a PC on an IPAD like you can on a MAC.

So this is the bottom line. The more I use it to type this blog the more I want it, but it is a totally unnecessary temptation. It does not serve any useful purpose for me, and I don't need it. It will taste good....but only for a while....then it will probably sit around taking up space on my desk.

I never thought I would compare technology to food but it really is the same thing.

I eat half the crap I eat because I want it. I don't need it.

Sure it tastes good...for a while, but when I am done with it it doesn't disappear. It sits around taking up space in my stomach.

I really need to learn to focus on what I need and not on what I want when it comes to all things in life.

It is hard....the more I use this IPAD...the better it tastes.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: