Friday, December 2, 2011

The Secret

Hi everyone!

Following my post yesterday announcing that I had lost 11.1 pounds in three weeks I got a few Facebook messages asking what my "secret" was.

I would love to say it was extensive exercise because I really believe in it. Unfortunately I spent 90% of that three weeks unable to exercise because I had thrown out my back.

I would also love to say it was weight watchers as I am 100% certain that without them I would be fifty pounds heavier (at least).

I was, however, away when I hurt my back, not following the Weight Watchers program, and eating in restaurants every day.

I did have a BIG secret though. I followed my secret diligently and guess what. It worked!

Are you ready for the secret? Well...here it is....it is common sense.

Believe me...that sounds easy but it is not. When it comes to eating with common sense I am one of the worst. I usually can't find my common sense. Put a restaurant menu in front of me and common sense disappears out the window.

Ironically, however, exercise did still help me...it helped me attain common sense.

It was not that I was exercising that gave me common sense. It was the fear of what might happen to my body because I COULD NOT exercise AND I was eating out.  I was scared into eating well.

So....this is what Jamie and I did:

1) Each morning at the free breakfast buffet we pretty much just had toast and fruit.
2) We went out for lunch each day and orderer, within reason, what we wanted.
3) When we got our lunch in the restaurant we divided out meals in half and only ate half.
4) After I finished eating half, just to make sure I wouldn't eat more while waiting for the check I put my fork in an unreachable place (going to the washroom and dropping it off near the kitchen works great).
5) We had the second half of our lunch for dinner.

By doing this we managed to eat out everyday for every meal, not exercise, and lose weight.

Common sense makes so much sense. It baffles me that I have such a hard time using it on a regular basis.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: