Thursday, December 15, 2011

Food In Singapore

I have to admit it is really tough to eat well in Singapore.

Correction..you can eat well very easily, but it is really hard to eat healthy in Singapore.

I can totally understand why there is no Weight Watchers program here. I think it would be virtually impossible to follow the plan.

Actually, when I think about it, I don't think I have seen a sign for any type of weight loss program here.

I suspect it is partly because "diet eating" doesn't really seem to exist, and partly because, other than the slightly evident tummies on some people, the only larger asians you see here are younger asian kids, and those kids are usually hanging out in McDonalds.

To be fair to McDonald's though, it seems to be one of the few places one can actually get a salad.

Everything seems to be a mixture of rice and noodles mixed with meat and sauce in a bowl, with a few vegetables on top of the dish as decoration.

Everything also seems to be shared here, so ordering one "healthier" dish just for yourself doesn't seem to be a possible reality. I think it might be perceived as rude.

The only thing you can really attempt to do is portion control but, when you are visiting relatives, that is tough. This is not really an asian thing, I think it transcends cultures...relatives do everything they can to force food down your throat.

I am just starting to get worried.

I caught myself counting the number of days remaining before I could get back to normal eating. One is not suppose to count down the number of days left in their vacation with the hope that is be over soon!

The one thing I can tell you though is that the food here is delicious. I will try almost anything and last night they started calling me an Asian trapped in a Canadian body.

Everything is so fantastically good that it is really hard to behave. I will do my best.

We will see friends from Sweden today. They arrived in Singapore last night.

It's so great they are meeting us here.

Be healthy!


Alan


No comments: