Monday, April 26, 2010

Weight Loss...Health...or both? Hmmm....

Yesterday I can say I ate well from a weight loss perspective, but can I honestly say I ate healthy? Probably not. I didn't eat BAD but there certainly weren't enough fruits and veggies in the mix. Overall though...still way better than I used to eat.

The question of "Health" vs "Weight-Loss" is a tough one though and they don't always go together. Which takes priority?

Oh I know I know, the answer is supposed to be HEALTH of course! But lets be real here. I would hazard to say that 75% of us trying to lose weight would throw health out the window in a second to get to our goal faster. It's not the right answer, but it's probably the real answer.

I remember Wynonna Judd talking on Oprah once about how frustrated she was that she was working so hard and she was only losing about 2 pounds a week. Oprah correctly told her that 2 pounds a week was a safe rate of weight loss. Wynonna then turned to Oprah, looked her in the eye and said "I don't care". At that moment we were one.

I am really trying to be healthy but if decisions are more geared toward weight loss then health right now I know I will sometimes make that compromise (I'm not saying I SHOULD...just that I probably will). I often want "low calorie and fast" rather than "low calorie and good for me". That is something I am work on changing but it is a slow process...one step at a time.

As I learn more about nutrition and the dangers of processed foods, artificially low fat foods, and the benefits of some "fattening foods" like nuts and coconut oil, it can all become quite confusing, so for now I have to simplify it as follows:

1) Try to stay away from processed foods
2) Try to keep the calories down (or"points values" in my case since I am a Weight Watcher).
3) I may get confused as to what I should and shouldn't eat from a nutritional/health plan perspective but after all these years I already KNOW what I like to eat that makes me fat and there is no "confusion" associated with it...so stay away from that stuff!
4) At least TRY to get some fruits and Veggies in :-)

I think if I make those the goals for now I am already ahead of the game compared to where I used to be and once I reach goal again I can refocus on becoming the health freak I aspire to be :-)

Sound good to me anyway!

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: