Saturday, February 25, 2012

We Just Aren't Accepting Our "Fate" Anymore

When I was in High School I used to hang out with my friend's John and Sue. We were all pretty "naturally thin". Then I went to University and met Wendy...thin as a rail. Did any of us really even think about weight back in those days? Why would we? We were...after all...thin.

OK...perhaps the girls thought about weight. I don't know...but if they did it wasn't because they needed to. If they thought about weight at all it would only because they were girls and that is what girls did. Hopefully that is starting to change although I know it is still a big issue.

Then the inevitable happened. We aged. As we aged our metabolism slowed down...our activity slowed down...but (and I am presumptuously speaking for all of us here) our food intake did not slow down.

It all started so slowly at first. Sure I was starting to get a bit of bulge in my tummy but not so much so that anyone would notice. I just needed to wear looser shirts...problem solved!

I am sure Sue can quite correctly say that having two kids played a role in establishing weight issues for her. John and I, however, can really only say that we were still acting like two kids. Fun was more important than health.

So now John, Sue, Wendy and I are all hovering around the "fifty year old" mark and we can no longer turn our heads the other way.

We had a choice. We could accept weight gain as "fate" or we could look it straight in the eye and say "damn it" you are NOT getting the best of me!

We have not all followed the same route to weight loss...but we are all fighting back! Sue and I lost over 50 pounds and we now live with the challenges of keeping it off, and I was so excited to read on John's Facebook page this morning that he has just lost 50 pounds!

Wendy has just jumped on the band wagon with Weight Watchers and is on her way to being a healthier person again too. It is all very exciting.

I can't write this blog without mentioning my friend Tom as well. Although Tom did not go to University with us as he was finished University before we finished high school, John and I performed in a few plays with him. A year or so ago he decided that he was not going to let fate get the better of him and has lost 92.4 pounds to get to goal!

All I can say is the proof is in the pudding. Our fate (at least weight wise) is not predetermined. It is totally within our power to lose weight and be healthier.

There is a reality though...and that is that for most of us...we will gain...and sometimes we will gain a lot...but that does not mean we have failed. We only fail if we give up.

Never give up.

Be healthy!

Alan





No comments: