Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What Is A Healthy Weight For You?

Determining a healthy weight can be a difficult thing. There are so many variables involved.

The Canada/US health guides define it by BMI but they are quite clear that it is a "guide" and there are limitations. Specifically, the Canadian Government says the following on their website:

Groups for whom the body weight classification system may have some limitations include:
  • young adults who have not attained full growth;
  • adults who have a naturally very lean body build;
  • adults who have a very muscular body build;
  • adults over 65 years of age;
  • certain ethnic or racial groups.

So what is a healthy weight?

It is an individual thing.

I also think that there is such a thing as a "healthier" weight rather than a "healthy" weight.

Few could argue that a 300 pound individual who has lost 100 pounds is not healthier. 

Perhaps they are healthy enough.

The person mentioned above who now weighs 200 pounds may be way over their BMI but they may also very well be "healthy enough" for them.

When I lost weight once before I went down to 176 pounds. My maximum "normal" BMI weight according to the charts is 179 pounds. It was the perfect weight for me at the time.


Now...several years later...and many many sessions at the gym later...I think it is very unlikely that I will ever be that weight again. Look at my picture in the top right side of this blog (I am 189 pounds in that picture) and tell me I need to be thirteen pounds thinner than that?  I don't think so...

yet that is what the "normal" guidelines say.


Or is it really? 

It is not.

Why? Because we tend not to read the detail and the detail for me is quoted above where it says:

"Groups for whom the body weight classification system may have some limitations include:
  • adults who have a very muscular body build"
I have worked out so much that I believe in my case a "normal" weight is not "normal" for me.

Your normal weight might not be normal for you either...for any one of the above mentioned reasons.

The good thing is we don't need to be "normal" and although many weight loss programs will use the BMI as a guide, programs like Weight Watchers allow you to decide that a higher weight is just right for you.

Of course you can't just pick a weight out of the blue. It has to be logic based and it is best you consult with a health practitioner to decide what is indeed right for you.

I did just that this morning. I saw my Doctor and he determined that with my body and exercise regime anything up to 197 pounds is perfectly healthy for me.

That is a far cry from the 179 pounds stated in the BMI guide...a full 18 pounds higher...but it is ok for my "normal".

The great thing is that Weight Watchers will accept the normal weight of 197 pounds for ME, as a Weight Watcher's Member, with a supplied Doctors note.

Having said that I want to be below 197 pounds. I would prefer to be 189 pounds (as I am in that picture above right) but it is nice to know I have a buffer built in with the 197 pound Doctor's note.

Things are slightly stricter for WW leaders (as they should be) as I cannot be a leader with a BMI over 27 but even this gives me the flexibility to go up to 193 pounds so all is good.

The point is an important one. 

You do not need to get hung up on BMI "normal" weight ranges or the generic guidelines issued by the Canadian and US government, Weight Watchers and other programs. Even they say they are "guides". Consult with a health practitioner, figure out the weight that is right for you, and get it in writing. Then make the "right" weight for you the right weight for you. 

Be healthy!

Alan

2 comments:

Jen said...

Bravo, Alan! I know many healthy men and women who are "over" the perfect BMI - and yes, most of them are muscular. There is also a woman on spark people who has only lost 5 lbs. over the past 9 months or so, but she's gone down THREE clothing sizes. She's something like 165, but she's a size 10? 8? And like you, she's muscular as can be - in a great way. I also think that if you exercise consistently and constantly and are in great shape, that's probably the best thing anyway. Great post!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jen! Glad you liked it :-)