Sunday, May 29, 2011

Paleo Diet

Hello all!

Hope you are doing well.

I have been doing GREAT health-wise lately. I am on a "diet" called the Paleo diet.

I know...diet's can be a problem and they tend to fail eventually...but sometimes I think one just needs a change to get re-motivated, and to be honest I really like the nutritional fundamentals of this diet so if it works out...who knows...it may just become my new way of eating. I think I would like that.

Essentially my food intake is comprised of proteins (primarily from organic meats, eggs, and fish), lots of fruits and vegetables, and some nuts. No dairy, grains or legumes.

At first glance this goes against the grain of my tried and true weight loss plan which is Weight Watchers. They have healthy guidelines which require you to eat dairy and whole grains daily.

I have examined the nutritional charts for the Paleo diet, however, and at the end of the day I think you can still be on this plan and do what is called the "Simply Filling Technique" at Weight Watchers. While it is true that I am not getting their "healthy guidelines" in as prescribed, the rational behind the healthy guidelines is to ensure you get sufficient daily nutrients such as calcium etc in. The foods I am eating do accomplish (actually exceed) this objective so, ultimately, I am accomplishing what WW wants me to accomplish.

I have to tell you I feel amazing. The energy level has spiked and I wake up ready to go. I am not sure if this is a temporary feeling or not but I am loving it.

I generally don't crave the missing carbs. The only exception to that is when I pass a bakery, but at home I don't really think about it. I miss having milk in my coffee, but that is helping me drink less coffee which is also a good thing.

So far so good!

Be healthy!

Alan





5 comments:

cdp said...

This sounds good Alan!
I would miss the dairy tho!
Onwards and upwards ...

Unknown said...

Only miss it in the coffee...otherwise I don't really think about it.

Trish said...

I switched to Lite Vanilla Soy milk or almond milk in my coffee a few months ago and I don't miss cow's milk at all.

Unknown said...

Thanks Trish...I was actually saying to Jamie this morning that I should start making my own Almond Milk again...used to do it. You have prompted me to go form "should" to "will" :-)

trish said...

am too busy ( err....lazy) to make my own but maybe once class lets out this summer I'll get it together.