Sunday, June 19, 2011

Boot Camp

Hi all!

Boot Camp has been my new thing this month. When I blogged a while ago that I was struggling and needed to find something new to re-motivate me, a good friend of mine suggested I try Boot Camp. It took me a few months to actually do it but I have been doing it since the end of May and am really enjoying it.

Boot Camp made me realize that I am really not as fit as I thought I was. In a gym I can lift pretty heavy weights and I could go on the elliptical for two hours if I want to no problem, but get me running around a park touching trees and I am out of breath in approximately sixty seconds. The difference is amazing.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT knocking the gym. I actually get quite frustrated when exercise encouragement is presented with statements like " You don't have to go to the gym...or get on the 'dreadmill' to exercise". It is a true statement but it puts down a form of exercise that many people actually love doing...myself included. I like the gym.

Boot Camp, however, adds a new element to my activity and confuses my body a bit more. I am not sure if I am losing weight because of it but I "feel" more fit.

Essentially at 6:00AM Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I show up at a park where we do a mixture of cardio and strength exercise. The only apparatus used are a tension band, a yoga mat, and your own body. For one hour I am challenged. I will run until my heart rate is high, then continue exercising with strength type exercise that allow you to continue exercising while your heart rate drops a bit, and then as soon as you just start to feel like you can breath again...you are once again off to the races. The sessions are great and being outside for them is really nice.

They sessions are held in month long packages and this package ends on June 24th. On the day it ends I am also having laser eye surgery and I am not sure how long it will be before I am back to normal so I don't think I will join for the month of July.

My friend Andres wants to give it a shot though so if he is up for it maybe I will do it again in August.

One thing it has taught me is that I need to do more cardio that is not equipment based. \

Our gym has various exercise classes and I will be doing more of those for sure.

Have a great Father's Day...and be healthy!

Alan

P.S: The website for Boot Camp is: http://www.bestbodybootcamp.com/


No comments: