Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Need You

My friend Joni has convinced me of something. I need you.

Some bloggers have kindly let me know that perhaps they need me too and you have no idea how good that makes me feel.

I need you to keep things "right".

Things have been challenging at times lately and I haven't alway been in control of what I am eating (ok..here we go...that is a lie right there...we are ALWAYS in control of what we are eating unless we are being force fed in a hospital bed) as a lot of time has been spent with my mother-in-law visiting from Singapore and she cooks great food. The thing is, however, is that it almost always involves some form of white rice whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Not only is too much white rice bad for me I think that it triggers further carb cravings.

I really can't blame it on the mother-in-law though. We always have a choice about what we eat, and, if I ONLY ate what she made I would probably be fine.

The good news is I have been quite good the last 11 days and I am quite sure I have lost weight. I am hoping for five pounds but will let you know when I step on a scale Wednesday. I have decided to be strict about stepping on a scale only one day a week.

The bad news is that exercise is impossible for me right now. I was dumb enough to flip over a coffee table in a shopping mall, and now I get to wear this supportive brace thing and can't exercise. I am actually at the point where I feel 95% recovered but the brace can't come off (except for showering) until this Wednesday. It appears there will not be any permanent damage though so I am a lucky man :-). I really believe that the fact that I have exercised a lot gave me a stronger core which is resulting in less damage and a quick recovery.

Anyway, back to needing you.

I was pretty faithful at blogging for about a year, and then I started to pull back. I guess it was partly because I was faltering, party because the daily excitement of doing it had faded, and partly because I felt like I was starting to sound pretty damn self righteous.

I always kind of knew the blogs could sound a bit self righteous but, when I was doing well, I was able to find, in my mind, a level of comfort with it. When I was  doing poorly 80% of the time and still sounding self righteous it kind of made me uncomfortable.

So what is the point? The point is that somewhere along the road I began to miss the point of my own blog. It was supposed to be about group support as we work through our successes and set-backs together with full knowledge that there would be set-backs...and sometimes set-backs are extreme.

I had an extreme set-back and, in retrospect, I can see that I ran away from the very support system that was in place for me. That support system is you.

So I thank Joni for making me realize that I need to blog. I also thank my blogger friends for telling me that my blog actually added value to their journey at times. If it helps someone else along the way that will make me SOOOO happy, but even if it doesn't help a single person I really appreciate you putting up with my throwing it in your face from time to time and reading it once in a while because it keeps me on track.

As Martha Stuart would say: "It's a good thing" :-)

Love you all.

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: