Monday, April 30, 2012

Wow That Was Intense

What an intense weekend of training.

When I signed up to be a leader for Weight Watchers I didn't really take into account the preparation involved.

I simply thought: "I already attend one meeting a week so why not lead one meeting a week instead" It is the same time commitment right? Well...yes...it is...when I factor in the time that I do not have to spend driving to Burlington and back every week...but that is only after the training has been completed.

It is kind of a two edged sword. On the one hand there is a fair amount of time commitment (since most of us also have full time jobs) as there are three WW Leader Webinars including one really designed for leaders doing "At Work" meetings, two full days of in class leader training, and five receptionist training sessions (although we are not receptionists we have to know what they do as we are in charge of the whole meeting and we may have to help out from time to time). On the other hand...it doesn't feel like there is enough training before you hit the ground running...I guess one probably never feels like there is enough training. I do feel like I have all the information that they can possibly give me so I guess they are right...it's time.

In my case I am joining the WW team at the same time the annual Spring Training for all leaders happens, so I will have that training June 1st as well...it's all good...just time consuming.

I am looking forward to Wednesday being over. Then I will have done my first meeting and can take a little bit of a deep breath.

In the training on the weekend I had to prepare and deliver a WW meeting to the Trainer and to the Territory Manager. We all had to do this and it was a very supportive atmosphere. If I am doing a totally honest evaluation of myself I think I did really well...but I had one big issue. I was WAY too nervous. I think I would rather have any other type of issue. If it was an issue of product knowledge etc I could fix it. When the problem is nervousness, even thinking about it will just make me more nervous...so I don't really know what to do about that one.

From the perspective of the Trainer and Territory Manager I don't think they were concerned at all. I think they were thinking "He ran a great meeting and after a couple of meetings the nervousness will subside and he will be fine"...so they are happy. But from my perspective it is not so simple. The last thing I want to be is nervous in my FIRST meeting. Oh well...it is what it is I guess.

So two more days and then the big day arrives. I feel like I am making too big a deal of it but it does feel like a big deal to me. Over the past eight years I have had two of the best leaders there are at WW so it kind of feels like I have a lot to live up to.

Deep breaths....I will get there.

At least all this WW stuff is keeping me very mindful of what I eat.

Be healthy!

Alan




No comments: