Friday, April 6, 2012

Finally I'm back...was the vacation weight worth it?

Back in February I went on a week-long cruise and gained over 10 pounds.

To many that may sound as though I lived my week in the Buffet line but I really didn't.

On the cruise I chose not to have dessert, skipped the big breakfasts, drank less alcohol (I really don't drink that much on vacations), and had a normal lunch. I guess the only real "splurge" was that I did order whatever appealed to me at dinner every night. Nonetheless...it was three meals out a day with no control over how they are cooked and I gain weight at mega speeds.

In the past I have always kind of had the philosophy that I can handle a weeks worth of damage. If I am going away for a week...I don't worry about it. If I am going away for two weeks I tell myself I need to be good, and I usually am for a week...and then I fall apart.

No matter what the scenario is, as soon as I return home I tell myself it was worth it (well...with the exception of the time I gained 21 pounds in two weeks). Life is meant to be enjoyed, and all I need to do is get back on track as soon as I return home right?

After my last vacation I told myself the same thing. It was worth it. I had a great time, and I gained ten pounds...so what?!

It is now seven weeks later and as of yesterday I have returned to my pre-vacation weight.

I cannot help but wonder at this point if it really was worth it.

Seven weeks of being on a weight loss regime to correct one week of fun? Was it REALLY worth it?

Right now my head is thinking a resounding NO...it was not worth it.

I know myself though, and by the next time I go on vacation I will probably be thinking it is totally worth it.

I am not sure which answer is the right answer but one thing is clear to me: If we decide that we are on "vacation" and it is time to just forget about the world and do what we want we can have a great time...but there is a big price to be paid upon return.  Taking off the weight isn't as easy as it was when I was younger.

I don't think there will be any more vacations until 2013 now so I will have a while to reflect on this. I am hoping I will be smarter next time.

Be healthy,

Alan

No comments: