Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ouch...Twisted Pelvis

Hi all.

Have you ever twisted your Pelvis? Well I now have.

I was doing dead lifts and although I felt in control I lost balance as I was lowering the weight and knocked my body out of whack.

It is quite painful but fortunately I was with my trainer and he and another trainer helped me immensely.

I have to be very clear here...although I was being supervised by my trainer it is not my trainer's fault. I have done dead lifts a hundred times and he always tells me to contract my abs...I didn't listen.

I was focussed on lifting the weight and didn't give the clenching of the abs the attention it deserves.

After the accident I was massaged and instructed to do things like pull-ups to relieve the pain and it did work..if only temporarily.

They then suggested I see a chiropractor and at that point I would have tried anything.

My trainer made a call and got me an emergency appointment and off I went.

When I was there the chiropractor asked me how the incident occurred and I told her about the dead lifts and she said "it wasn't your first set was it?"...to which I replied "no". She then told me she sees it too often. People do exercises right for the first set or two, and then get careless and don't do things they need to do like clench their  abs. That was when I realized I was in fact NOT clenching my abs.

So now...because I failed to listen to my trainer I am in a lot of pain.

This morning I barely managed to get out of bed and started walking to the bathroom when my body literally froze. It hurt too much to move forward and it hurt too much to move backward. I had to wake Jamie up and get him to help me back to bed.

Eventually I did get up again (the only real motivator was the desperate need to go to the bathroom) and slowly moved around until my body started to release the stiffness a bit.

The day has been ok but I am a little afraid to go to bed tonight...the body will stiffen again for sure.

So...my words of wisdom for today...listen to your trainer! The things he/she tells you to do while exercising are likely more important than they may seem to be.

Now I can't exercise for a while and that is a worse feeling than the actual pain :-(

Be healthy!

Alan

No comments: